Grief for a Friend

" Everyone please settle down! Now, we are going to be closed for a week due to the incident. Please go to your home and relax the best you can until school on Monday in two weeks. " The principal announced on a podium outside of the school. 

No one said a word, not even the talkative students. Everyone remained quiet as the principal left the podium and walked into the school building, that no one would see for two weeks. When the doors shut behind her everyone started making their way out of the front gates and to their homes. The death of Cindy Lomax affected everyone, especially you. You didn't even go to the meeting at the front of the school; you just stayed home, in your comfy clothes. 

You stayed inside curled in a ball, grieving for your best friend who died, to unknown causes. It hurt to relive the memory of seeing her yesterday, dead in her desk. 

( Flashback )

   " Cindy..."

The teacher was pushing everyone away from the door, while the principal stood inside the room with a few other teachers waiting on the police to arrive. The students wanted to see what they were hiding, out of pure curiosity or fear. You, on the other hand, just wanted to see your best friend.

   " Cindy! "

You pushed past the teacher and ran into the room, and towards her desk. You could see the wood grains in the polished desk before one of the teachers grabbed you. Tears made their way down your face as you fought against the teacher.

   " Ms. Y/n please stay calm! " The principal shouted at you.

You stopped fighting and the teacher just held you in their arms. Your breathing was quick and your heart was in pain. Cindy's head was facing the ceiling as if someone or something had forced her head back. Her eyes were wide open and the color was paler than it used to be. Her mouth lay open and the fly was swatted away by a teacher. 

You cried as the teacher set you on the ground. They knew how close the two of you were and decided to let you grieve for her, but not to touch her for the police's sake. You observed that there were no marks on her body and she didn't seem to be hurt at all. She was just dead.

( Flashback Over )

   " Cindy...I'm sorry. I'm sorry for anything I've done. " You confessed, crying.

Your cell phone started ringing, and when you picked it up to look at the number, you saw that it was Bruno Tate calling. You denied the call and set your phone down on the floor beside you. Not minutes later he called again, and you didn't pick up. Finally, he called a third time and you answered the phone, unwillingly.

   " Hello? "

   " Y/n, how are you doing? "

   " Not too great. "

   " Look I know this is hard for you to handle right now, but why don't we talk? Maybe talking will help get this off your chest. "

   " I don't want to talk. I want to sulk and grieve for my best friend. Now leave me alone. "

   " Don't hang up! "

   " Why? "

   " Because if you ar you could at least answer your front door first. "

   " My front door? "

You stood up from the floor and walked to the front door and when you opened it, Bruno was standing right in front of you. You hung up the call and put your phone in your pocket. Bruno was in casual clothes and he put his phone away.

   " Look, I know it's your job and everything, but not today. Not right now. I want to sulk. "

   " I wasn't coming to investigate you. I was coming to check on you. The principal said you were taking it pretty hard and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to cheer you up at all. "

   " No, now go away. "

You started closing the door when his hand held onto the door and pushed it towards you. His head peeked through the doorframe and the door.

   " Please. Let me at least try. "

   " Why do you care so much? "

   " I just do. Now go get some appropriate clothes on. I'm going to take you somewhere. "

   " Where? "

   " Doesn't matter, just go change. "

   " Great I think this will be the first time a cop has ever kidnapped a victim. "

You shut the door to the home and went to change into a hoodie and some jeans. You slipped your shoes on and walked outside the house and locking it. You turned to the off-duty detective and he showed you a small smile before pulling your arm towards his car.