1.6

Camp Lehigh, New Jersey

the trio pull up outside an abandoned military base where the signal led them to.

"This is it" Steve says skeptically, "the file came from these coordinates" nat tells him, "so did I" steve reveals, later that night as they walk around the base trying to pinpoint where the signal came from. "This camp is where I was trained" steve explains, "changed much?" nat asks, "a little" steve stares off into space.

"This is a dead end, zero heat signature, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off" nat explains Steve notices a building ahead of them, "what is it?" anastasiya asks as they walk over to the building, "army regulations forbid storing ammunition within five hundred yards of the barracks, this building is in the wrong place" steve breaks the lock with his shield and the trio enter, noticing it's a shield office. "This is shield" nat says skeptically, "maybe where it started" steve clarifies, the trio enter a room finding old framed portraits of Howard Stark, Peggy and Col. Chester Phillips. "there's Stark's father" nat points out howard, "Howard" steve corrects, "who's the girl?" anastasiya asks. Steve doesn't reply and turns away to walk further down the room and stops by a massive book shelf, "If you're already working in a secret office" steve pushes the bookshelf and it slides open to reveal an elevator behind it, "why do you need to hide the elevator?" steve questions, the trio step into the elevator which takes them to a room with old looking computers. "This can't be the data-point, this technology is ancient" nat says suddenly natasha notices a small flash drive port, she places the flash drive in it which then activates the ancient computer in the room, "Initiate system?" the computer asks? Natasha types using the keyboard "Y-E-S, spells yes" natasha smiles as the old computer starts to crank up. "shall we play a game?" anastasiya reads out, "It's from a movie that..." nat explains, "yeah, I saw it" steve cuts natasha off suddenly the trio hear an accented voice speaking. "Rogers, Steven. Born, 1918. Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna. Born, 1984. Barnes-Rogers, Anastasiya Natalia Sarah Winnifred. Born, 2001" the computer/zola says the trio see an old camera moving above them as it analyzes them. "It's some kind of a recording" nat tells the two, "I am not a recording, fräulein. I may not be the man I was when the captain took me prisoner in 1945, but I am" the computer screen shows an old photo of Dr. Arnim Zola, "do you know this thing?" nat asks steve, "Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the Red Skull. He's been dead for years" steve explains, "first correction, I am Swiss, second, look around you. I have never been more alive, In 1972 I received a terminal diagnosis, science could not save my body, my mind, however, that was worth saving on two hundred thousand feet of data banks, you are standing in my brain" zola explains, "how did you get here?" steve asks, "invited" zola says, "it was operation paperclip after world war II, shield recruited german scientists with strategic value" nat offers an explanation, "they thought I could help their cause, I also helped my own" zola says, "hydra died with the red skull" steve says.

"Cut off one head, two more shall take its place" zola says , "prove it" steve instructs, "accessing archive" zola says as the computer screen shows them old footage of Johann Schmidt/Red Skull, "hydra was founded on the belief that humanity could not be trusted with its own freedom. What we did not realize, was that if you try to take that freedom, they resist, the war taught us much, humanity needed to surrender its freedom willingly, after the war, shield was founded and I was recruited, the new hydra grew, a beautiful parasite inside shield, for seventy years hydra has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war. And when history did not cooperate, history was changed" zola reveals. "that's impossible, shield would have stopped you" anastasiya argues, "accidents will happen" the computer screen shows them hydra had killed Howard and Maria Stark making it look like a car accident along with the recent death of Fury, "hydra created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security, once the purification process is complete, hydra's new world order will arise, we won, captain, your death amounts to the same as your life; a zero sum" zola taunts in anger Steve suddenly smashes the computer screen, "as I was saying" zola finishes, "what's on this drive?" steve asks, "project Insight requires insight. So I wrote an algorithm" zola explains, "what kind of algorithm? what does it do?" nat asks, "the answer to your question is fascinating, unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it" zola says suddenly the doors start to close, Steve tries to stop them by throwing his shield in between but he's too late. "Steve, we got a bogey, short range ballistic, 30 seconds tops" nat warns, "who fired it?" steve asks, "shield" nat says, "I am afraid I have been stalling, captain, admit it, it's better this way, we're both of us out of time" zola reveals, steve notices a small opening on the ground, he throws the metal door aside and just as the place explodes he throws himself, Natasha and Anastasiya into the hole and protects the two girls with his shield, he then manages to get them out from under the building rubble just as strike agents arrive to roam the area for them.