Epilogue

Less than a year later, with the weather still gloomy as always, I was standing in front of the brand new community space, food bank and shelter that Ezrah had helped me build. We did have a little help from my grandmother, my trust fund, and Ezrah's family development investment, of course.

The red ribbon stood proudly in front of me, and the large bow prominently displayed in the center of it was requested by Ezrah so I would feel at home. Apparently that's how he thought Canadian's did grand openings and I let him have it. He had also procured a comically large pair of scissors we were supposedly going to cut it with. 

"Ladies and gentleman," Ezrah called out over the crowd. "As you may know, the Bellamys are very pleased to partner with Miss Adelaide Becker in this project to provide a much needed service to the area. We hope to have all the amenities up and running within the year, but for now it is a place for a warm bed, a warm meal, and any basics people might need."

He looked toward me and smiled, reaching for my hand as he did so. I let him take it.

"So, without further ado, we would like to declare Becker House officially open." Ezrah finished his speech and the crowd applauded politely as he picked up the comically large scissors and offered them to me.

"Together?" I asked. At least that way I won't drop them or something. And if I do, I can blame him.

As usual, Ezrah was right, and the scissors were light enough for me to carry alone, effortlessly cutting through the large, red ribbon.

When I cut the ribbon, the bow fell to the ground leaving a nice pathway down the middle for the guests to walk through as they continued to politely clap. Everyone slowly queuing to enter took the time to shake our hands as they passed us, telling us how happy they were to see such a project or that they hoped to see more of us at whatever event they liked to attend.

I couldn't keep up with everything, still amazed that I had managed to get all of this done. Being friends with Prince Edward did make cutting through the metaphorical red tape a little easier, I had to admit, and I was glad we had remained friends after the way I treated him. He really was the kind of guy you wanted running a country.

Finally, as the line grew smaller, my grandmother came up to us and shook Ezrah's hand and then mine.

"Your parents would be proud of you. I also wanted to tell you in person today that I'll be releasing your inheritance to you once the lawyer can draw up the papers. You've more than earned it. But I do hope you'll choose to stay with me a while longer. I've quite gotten used to you."

And with that she was off through the door with the rest of the crowd. Typical Nora.

"Shall we?" I asked, offering my arm to Ezrah as though escorting him into a formal event. I swept my other arm dramatically across my body and gestured to our beautiful new building. Which had actually once been a very old building but now shone brighter than it ever had, with gold letters adorning it in honour of my parents.

"Yes. But before we do, I have a confession to make."

I turned to face him and put my hands on my hips, hoping to gauge some type of reaction from his facial expression but receiving nothing but his trademark smile in return. Irritating. So Irritating.

"Ezrah, you know if you make me wait, I'm just going to imagine terrible things, right?"

"Well, remember when I apologized for spying on you?"

"And I forgave you," I reminded him. "And so did Edward, so I don't know why that is a confession."

"Well, I did forget to apologize for one thing, though. I lied when I said I wasn't flirting with you."

"Oh, is that all?" I laughed and put my arm around his shoulder. "Because I couldn't tell!"

"Well, I thought I was pretty funny."

"Of course you did." I rolled my eyes dramatically for his benefit. "You always think you are the funniest person in the room."

"Well, usually I am."

"Let's go before Nora comes out here and yells at us for not being proper hosts. I don't want to get her approval and lose it all in one day."

"Yes, let's go celebrate!"

And with that, he offered me his arm and led me inside the place we had built together in honour of my parents. Despite the terrible things they had put me through, I was happy to say I had managed to find a community that I could accept as my own, and a place that I could call home. Surely that was worthy of a celebration.