Chapter 17: Back to School

Eri, Kota, Katsuma, and the rest of their class were back in session Monday morning. Their instructor simply stood at the front and stared down each of his students.

"Despite recent events, UA has decided to proceed with the annual Sports Festival." He announced.

Each of the students cheered or at least showed some form of excitement for one of the prestigious school's best events. Broadcasted all over the world! Every student being given a chance to shine.

"However." Mr. Serizawa spoke out, silencing them. "This is the first year they will be changing it up. UA is considered the best in terms of producing hero course students and even some exemplary support course students. But with each passing generation of heroes comes an even more ambitious generation of fans. The number of excellent hero course students from many of the world's top schools has grown exponentially. Rather than the World Heroes Agency give each school their own yearly Sports Festival, they are going to pilot a multi-school Sports Festival."

Each of the students look at him in shock.

He continued without interruption. "10 of the world's top schools will present their hero course students. 10 schools, 30 classes, almost 600 students. No general studies. No business studies. No support studies either."

"Six hundred students?!" Kota shouted.

Eri thought to herself. "In some ways it does make sense. There are more who want to be heroes than ever before and UA is not the only school to produce the best anymore."

Katsuma added his thoughts. "It's also understandable since the business, generals, and support course students don't get to shine in events that cater more to Quirks and how to fight with them. That usually applies to the heroes more than anything."

"Business students will still get to do their thing at the festival as well. The event will broadcast everywhere, from stadiums in home countries to living rooms." Mr. Serizawa said. "Now, I want each of you to train your Quirks but to also look around the room."

Each student did so. Eri met eyes with the other students, including her friends Kota, Katsuma, Satsuki, and Gomuhosu.

"The day of the Sports Festival, you will fight for yourselves. It's your day to show your worth. And in order to do that, you will have to outshine your friends, and beat them. Every generation of ambitious aspiring heroes-to-be has more and more competition. There's no shortage of heroes in the world. But Quirks are becoming harder to control for some. While villainous organizations may be diminishing, other problems are arising." He continued.

Eri gulped.

"Several Hero agencies will be looking for new interns. Get all eyes on you then."

The Deku Squad all looked at each other again.

"But most are only looking at one candidate at a time."

One female student in the back raised her hand. "Mr. Serizawa? If there are other hero schools coming, wouldn't that suggest hero agencies from other countries will be here as well?"

Their teacher nodded. "Most Japanese students won't have to worry about interning internationally. But if the opportunity comes and it's worth transferring, take it. But personally, I wouldn't trade anything for UA and the Hero Agencies of Japan."

Kota smirked. "Hell yeah, sir."

~~~~~~~

Later that night, after classes were out, Class 1-A returned to their dorm.

Most of the class members were already settling down in their individual rooms, but some were still out in the main living room and kitchen.

Kota tossed a ball into the air, catching it with the same hand as he laid on his back on the couch beside Eri and Katsuma, who was reading over his notes.