Chapter 18: Friends ✔️

"Are you crazy?!" Newt whisper-yells at me. "Oh, let's go figure out who somebody that could possible kill me is."

"We have guns to protect ourselves." I say, looking at Newt.

He sighs. "You really are crazy." He mumbles.

"Fine, I'll go see who they are by myself." I say, jumping off the rock I was sitting on.

"Uh, no." Newt says, stepping forward. He sighs. "How do you get me to do this?"

I lead Newt down the mountain. There's another road block, but I can tell nobody from the Right Arm is stationed back here. Maybe they thought nobody would go around?

I see the truck park and a group get out of the vehicle. "Be careful and quiet." I instruct Newt. "Just like Harriet and Sonya when they ambushed us." Newt nods as he pulls the scarf up over his mouth and nose. I pull mine up to as we get closer to the group.

"Juls, not to be rude or anything, but where the hell are we?!" One of the girls yells, looking at a blonde.

"Shut up!" The blonde replies. "Just let me concentrate!"

"Gun." Newt whispers. I see one of the girls is holding a small gun.

"Drop it!" Newt yells, popping out from behind one of the cars. I roll my eyes as the group turns to Newt, surprised. I sneak around the back of the group. "I said drop it!" Newt yells, his gun trained on the girl with the gun.

The girl lowers the gun to the ground. "We're not looking for any trouble. One of ours needs some medical attention, that's it."

Newt glances to me, unsure of what to do. "How bad?" I ask, coming out, my gun raised. The group turns to me and I see one of the girls is holding a young girl about 11 in her arms.

"She got shot in the arm. We didn't know what to do." The girl replies. "She lost a lot of blood and passed out." I stare at the girl in disbelief. 

I lower my gun and Newt steps towards me, confused and concerned. "Pip." I say, quietly. I immediately hand Newt my gun and rush to the young girl.

"What the-" The girl asks.

"Kat, this isn't the time. Newt, use my radio and call some guys over here, now." I say, taking Pip from the girl and placing her on the ground.

"What the...Spencer?!" Kat asks, looking at me in disbelief. "You're alive?"

"What did I just say?! This isn't the time!" I yell, pulling my mask down. I look up to Newt who's standing there in confusion. "Get some people over here now!"

He drops my gun and grabs the walkie talkie from his belt. "I need some guys behind the camp..."

I look around at the group. 

Everybody in my maze that WICKED took.

----

Sonya rushes over to me and Newt. "What the hell?!" She yells, seeing the blood on my hands and shirt.

"Pip." I reply, glancing towards the medical tent.

"Pip?!" Sonya yells.

"Sonya?!" Kat comes up from behind me and sees Sonya.

"Kat?!" Sonya asks in happiness and disbelief. They pull each other into a hug. "You're alive!"

I lean on Newt and he wraps his arm around my waist to keep me steady. "Hey, are you okay?" He asks.

"My leg." I say.

Without another word he picks me up and takes me to one of the tents and lays me down on the cot. "You really need to get some sleep." He says, handing me a blanket.

"I can't." I whisper. "I can't just go to sleep when Pip could die."

"Hey, hey, hey, we're not going to think that." Newt says, sitting next to me on the bed. "She's gonna make it, okay?" He takes my hands in his and squeezes them. "She's gonna make it...okay?" 

I nod and lean my head on his shoulder. "Thank you." I whisper.

"What for?" He asks, looking at me.

"For being there for me." I say, looking up at him. We stay quiet, just enjoying each other's company.

The flap of the tent is opens and Fry walks in. "Hey, I saw you two came back, is everything okay?"

I nod. "Yeah, it's good."

"Well, it's dinner time." Fry says before leaving.

Newt stands up and pulls me up before putting his arm around my waist. "I'm hungry, let's go." I nod and he helps me walk outside and over to the fire where some guys are sitting around talking.

-----

I laugh at Aris as he tries to eat the entire hotdog in one bite.

"I told you you couldn't do it!" I yell, pointing at him while laughing even harder.

"Shut up!" He says, spilling ketchup down his shirt which just makes me laugh harder.

"Aris! Spencer!" 

I look up at the sound of my name. Fry, Minho, Jesse, Newt, and Thomas are all sitting a little up the cliff.

"Hey, guys!" Aris yells, waving to them.

Thomas says something and Newt turns around, pointing. I follow his point to a cliff overlooking the camp where two silhouettes are standing out in the sunset. Teresa and Evan.

I look back at the boys. Thomas had left, leaving the four. I smile at Newt and he returns it. Minho says something which makes' Newt's cheeks go red. Newt whacks Minho and Fry says something. Newt looks back down at me, a smile on his face.

"Spence?" I come out of my daze and look at Sonya.

"Sorry, what?" I ask.

"Aris just dared you to eat an entire hotdog in one bite." Toby says.

"Uh, no. I'd make even worse of a mess then Aris." I say with a laugh.

"Come on, you can't say no to a dare!" Harriet speaks up.

"Spencer?" I look up to see Newt. "Can I talk to you?"

"Dang, saved by the Newt!" Sonya calls as I stand up and nod.

He leads me a little away from the girls. He glances up at where the other boys are still sitting before looking back at me. "Spencer, I know we haven't known each other that long and we're kinda in hell, but-" Newt stops, his eyes fixed behind me.

"Newt? Are you okay?" I ask after a second.

"WICKED." He whispers.