Chapter 3 - Close Encounters

It's beautiful isn't it?" a voice comes out of nowhere, startling me and Terryn.
I look around, and a coal gray horse comes out of the shadows, along with Prince Gabrieli. I blush even more as his eyes sweep over me and my plain clothes.

"I-I-I am sorry for taking your horse," I stammer, and look down. He comes forward, and stops next to me.

"No one has ever been able to get near Terryn, and your father wanted someone to make sure you hadn't run away when they found your room empty."

"So how did you find me?" I ask, meeting his gaze.

"Your gold hair sticks out, even when you have a hood on. And it is unusual for a newcomer at the pits, especially a woman," he says, and looks at the setting sun.

"We better get back, before they think I ran away too," he winks and turns back down the trail.
I pause before yelling, "Race ya," and I let Terryn out, he pauses before running full-speed.
     I get a glimpse of Prince Gabrieli's shocked face before everything blurs together. I pull Terryn in, making sure that the Prince is behind me and get to the beginning of the trail, where my father and King Wiliame stand. I can tell my father is nervous, by the way he is tugging at his sleeves. I stop in front of them, and wait for either of them to speak.

Prince Gabrieli stops beside me and breaks the silence, "Look who I found," he says and smirks.

"How was the ride?" asks King Wiliame, with a warm smile.

"It was quite cold, but beautiful," I offer him a small smile back.

"Wonderful! We will discuss wedding affairs in the morning!" he says and starts walking away, in deep conversation with my father.

"Would you like me to walk you there?" he asks, offering his arm.

My etiquette training takes over, and I graciously say, "Yes, please."

"We have a small detour, but I know you have already been there," he says and chuckles, and starts walking.

    I instantly know what he means as we walk towards the soldiers barracks, where there are many men sparring and fighting, which must be "the pits". When they see the Prince, they straighten themselves, and work even harder. He nods to a few and makes small talk, but continues on his way. We turn down a hidden hallway, and he stops and knocks.

    "Otto?" he said, "anyone home?" Someone opens the door, and instantly tells him to come in.

    "I would like you to meet someone," Out steps an intimidating man, with black buzzed hair, and many tattoos on his arms, "This is Princess Roesia, the soon to be queen."

He turns to me, "Princess, this is the head of your guard, and I trained with him."

    "We are not very happy you left without telling us," he says gruffly, but with a glint in his eye, as if he finds it amusing.

    "I know, and my apologies," I stammered.

    "I just thought you should know who he is. He is the head of your guard," and with that he turns and leads through the maze of a palace and to my room.

    "Thank you for walking me to my room," I say. I look at his face, and it hits me all of a sudden.

    "Anytime," he says gruffly. My eyes travel towards his lips. That's when I notice how handsome he is. His full lips, broad shoulders, and startling green eyes. When I finally meet his eyes, I feel a blush creep down my cheeks, he definitely saw me checking him out.

    He steps forward, and I freeze. His lips brush my cheek and he steps back. Butterflies flutter in my stomach. I feel the heat of his skin on my skin, and the roughness of his calloused fingers. My heart pounds in my chest and I instinctively grab his arms and kiss him back on the cheek.

Instantly regretting it, "S-sorry," I stammer, "it is a typical Summerian custom," I notice our proximity, and step back. The fluttery feeling in my stomach still resides and my skin is tingling where he touched, I curtsy and turn, fleeing in my room.

Slumping down against my door, I let out a sigh. This day has been a rollercoaster, and my newfound feelings for the prince, my husband, are crazy and unexpected. I long for the familiar heat of the sun on my skin and the sparkling pools of water at home. I get up and start undressing, and gaze at myself in the mirror. I absentmindedly put on a thin nightgown that I brought from home, I heard a knock at the door. Lost in my thoughts, I open the door, and blink in surprise.

"I-I," Prince Gabrieli stammers as his eyes sweep down my body. I glance down at myself, and notice my clothes, or lack thereof, and move so the door shields my body from view.

His hypnotizing eyes move to my face, and when we make eye contact, my breath quickens.

"Would you like me to escort you to breakfast tomorrow?" he asks, his voice deep and scratchy.

"Yes, that would be lovely," I say breathly. Withthat, he gives a slight bow, nods to the guard, and walks away, his long strides making him vanish in the night. Leaving me with a kaleidoscope of butterflies in my stomach.

After the two electrifying encounters with my betrothed, I found myself tossing and turning. Swinging my legs out of bed, I pad barefoot towards the balcony that I earlier that night had made my great escape from. Sitting on the smooth stones on the edge, I gaze out at the vast amount of stars, and I see the lonely moon. At home, one could rarely see the stars thanks to the thick smog that kept the heat of the sun down, and the light of the stars out. I was in awe. Yes, it may be cold and unfamiliar here, but there was a beauty that you couldn't capture anywhere else.

Stumbling back to bed, I could feel the grip of sleep tugging at my eyes. I burrow under the thick blankets, and my eyes flutter closed. I catapult into dreams of mesmerizing green eyes and lands of ice and snow.

COMMENT! VOTE! I NEED FEEDBACK!