【 FIFTEEN 】

Start from the beginning

I glanced at Qui-Gon again. If we were going to go through with this, then now was the time. Qui-Gon met my eye, then nodded with a wink. Ready to put our secret plan into action, I turned to Watto confidently, crossing my arms. "I'll take that bet."

Watto, who had been fluttering away from us with excitement, hesitated and turned his head. "You what?"

I shrugged. "I'll wager our new racing pod against... say... the boy and his mother."

Watto scoffed. "No pod is worth two slaves, not by a long shot." He narrowed his eyes at me.

"The boy then," I told him. "Unless you're too scared Sebulba is going to lose to take my bet. You're not scared, are you, Watto?" I pressed.

"Of course not!" The blue creature spat, as if insulted I would even suggest such an idea.

"Then what do you have to lose?" I shrugged.

Watto frowned. "Hmm... Well, uh... We'll let fate decide, huh?"

No. I wasn't putting it up to that. After what I'd done yesterday, I felt more in control of myself, more in tune with my abilities, whatever those were. So, just like yesterday, I reached out with the Force, but this time, with the intention for good instead of bad. "No," I said forcefully, waving my hand. "It's the boy or nothing."

My words were so powerful, Watto's eyes glazed over. There were a couple moments of silence, in which I watched the Toydarian with bated breath, waiting for him to say something. Finally, he did. "Fine," he growled. "The boy."

I grinned and glanced over at Qui-Gon, who was watching me in pride. It was all thanks to him... his faith in me had led me to believe I could turn around and use my power for good.

"But it doesn't matter," Watto said finally. "This makes little difference. The boy won't win the race--you'll regret ever dealing with me, I promise you that!"

Still fluttering on his small wings, he pushed past Qui-Gon and I to snap something at Anakin in Huttese before leaving the hangar in frustration.

"Thanks, Qui-Gon," I told the man as we walked slowly back towards Anakin's station.

The Jedi Knight chuckled. "For what?"

"For believing in me," I told him. "I didn't want to tell the others what I'd done because I wanted to turn myself around... to prove that I'm not that person. To my friends and family, and to myself. I was scared I wouldn't be able to do it, but you made that a reality." I smiled up at him. "So thanks."

Qui-Gon nodded with a small smile. "You have an interesting way with the Force, young Padawan," he told me. "I now see what Kera meant when she said you were special."

I raised an eyebrow. "You talked to Kera?"

Qui-Gon smiled again, but this time it didn't quite meet his eyes. "Of course. Just before we left, remember?"

Of course I did. That was the last time I'd talked to my master before coming on this trip. But I could tell Qui-Gon wasn't telling the full truth. I decided not to press him, though, as we were coming up on everyone else.

"This is so wizard, Ani," one of Anakin's friends, Kitster, was enthusing as we approached. "I'm sure you'll do it this time."

"Do what?" Padmé, who had been listening nearby, wondered.

"Finish the race, of course," Kitster told her.

Padmé fixated her eyes on Anakin in shock. "You've never won a race?" She asked incredulously.