Chapter 3: Univited Pest--I Mean Guest

"Hey, guys. If you were meant to marry a rich person for your family, without knowing anything about them. Their background, personality, or occupation. Would you do it?"

I turn my gaze at Estaban and Karla, both of them staring at me like I just lost my head. I told them this question as it's been bugging me for days on how my family is reacting to the way life has just suddenly change with what I and Mr. Akiyama had just declared.

Mamá and papá both got enthralled with the gifts they sadly abandon for few days, witness every morning papá talking to his family or friends on the phone about how lucky to get this "sexy" car.

Mamá never once wanted to ride that thing, and neither did none of his children do so as well, besides Victor. He once asks papá and his answer was, "Until you get rich or marry someone who is—which I think none of them is going to happen—then you can ride it."

Yeah, right. In your dream, Victor.

"Um, I would say yes. But...is this in general or is this is what you are going through, Estrella?" Karla bites on her potato chips, licks her finger from the salt on them.

"I don't want to say this, but you look like shit to me, Estrella," Estaban said to me, smack his arm from his rude comment I didn't ask for.

"Sheesh. Thanks for informing me I need to better up myself instead of love who I am." I sarcastically said to him.

He just brushes it off as he drank his carton of milk. I look back at Karla, who is waiting for her answer. I sigh, shake my head. I can't tell them, not if it going to happen, at least I hope.

"No. I was just watching this telenovela and wanted to know if you have to choose between marry someone who is filthy rich or go on with your life despite the fact your whole family is poor and perhaps you might never meet anyone in your life that would like her burnt beans skin like mine, who's going to die alone."

Oh, I think I went too far. I try to wipe it off and tell them I was overthinking it but when I look at them they both give me, "Yeah, you are the one going through this" look, I can't do that.

"Okay, I don't know if this 'telenovela' is something you relate to, but why is this suddenly worry you? You are not going to..." she pauses as she's aware of my reason using that method instead saying it, "expect the woman is just going to marry that guy for wealth, do you?"

"Wait, don't tell me you said yes?" Estaban interrupts Karla's question, yet gives her an unnecessary one.

Karla rolls her eyes before slamming her hand on the table. "Yes, because I'm poor as well and want some greens to save my life. Is that a problem to you, Esta-Ban?!" She emphasizes the "ban" from his name.

He frowns at her, about to say something that would get him hit but he turns his attention to me. "Are you going with it? The marriage?"

I sigh as I can't help but just give up with the telenovela's idea and just go out saying it. "Yeah. I have no other choice now since he's kinda pushing me to go with it."

I mess around with the school burrito they make, not satisfying my taste bud. "Hold up a minute. The man that you are about to marry is forcing you?"

Karla widens her eyes in concern, both of her hands shakes against the table. She looked at me with deep concern, not sure what to do. I turn my eyes to Estaban, and he too has his mouth agape along with his eyes.

"No...It's his grandfather that is setting up the marriage for us."

They sigh in relief, both of their body relaxed. A little too much for Estaban as he tries to leans over the bench that had no back support, fell down on the floor.