Transfer Student

I stood outside the classroom, leaning against the wall and listening to the teacher in class.

"We have a transfer student today."

I listened as people started murmuring in class and sighed. This was something I'd never get used to. I realized my heart was in my throat at the thought of meeting so many new people.

"Yayoi, come in!" he said.

"Yayoi?" I heard someone say.

I walked in and stood beside the teacher, glancing across the classroom, but avoiding everyone's eyes-except for Haru, who gave me an encouraging smile.

Another set of murmuring broke out, until the teacher gave them a sharp glance. Silence fell.

"Why don't you introduce yourself?" he said, gesturing to me.

"My name is Reika Yayoi. It's nice to meet you all."

Another girl raised a hand and said, "Yayoi-san, are you related to Haru?"

I nodded. "I'm his-"

"-sister," finished Haru.

"You two look nothing alike," said a boy.

"I'm adopted," I said, nodding to him.

"Yayoi, take the seat next to Saeko," said the teacher, as the girl named Saeko raised her hand so I knew who he was talking about.

"Nice to meet you, Yayoi-chan," she said, nodding. "I'm Misaki Saeko."

"Likewise, Saeko-san."

Class was a blur of confusion and colors. Most of my classmates introduced themselves to me during our break, and I can tell you with confidence I remember only half their names. I suppose I'd remember after a couple of days of attendance. So we had a total of 20 students in the class, I realized as I did a quick headcount.

"Yayoi," called the Math teacher. Haru and I both looked up and blinked.

"I meant the girl," she said, realizing we both shared a name. Haru glanced at me and looked down at his book, while I stared at the teacher.

"Can you solve this?" she asked, pointing to the problem on the board.

"Lovely," I muttered under my breath, as Haru hid his amused smile.

I stared at the algebra equation on the board and walked up to the board, accepting the chalk piece from the teacher.

I scribbled the formula and the answer, while the teacher stared at me for a while.

"Wrong formula, but right answer."

I looked at Haru, who ducked to hide his laughter. I sighed and ruffled my hair. Why does this keep happening?

She gave me an amused smile and told me I could go back to my seat. I handed the chalk piece back to her.

I put my head down as Saeko patted my head. "At least the answer was right."

I glanced up at her. "Optimism at its finest."

Haru walked up to me after the bell rang. "Next is Physical Education."

"Oh no," I said automatically.

"You'll be excused if you tell them why you can't play. Head over to the nurse's office and get a note, okay?"

"Where's the nurse's office?" I asked, realizing I needed to map out the school later.

"I'll take her, Yayoi-san" said Saeko, standing up.