Chapter Thirty-Four | Wish

Start from the beginning

Vivienne played with the frills of her dress as she nodded, "I don't know what to do or say around him anymore. Will we pretend that it never happened? Or will he do something drastic such as removing me from his house?"

Fiona tugged on Vivienne's hand, and she settled down beside her friend. "I've known James for most of my life. I don't believe he would be so cruel as to leave you without a home."

Tears shone in Vivienne's eyes. "I've been so foolish; he's already done so much for me, and I just ruined it all."

Fiona rubbed Vivienne's back comfortingly, "Don't worry my dear. It's just accommodations, if anything happens, I'm sure that Henry and I would host you in our London home."

Vivienne gave her a watery smile, "That isn't the only thing he's done for me," she confessed.

Needing to share her story with someone else besides James and Lady Torrington, Vivienne poured her heart and told Fiona everything. Once she finished, it was unexpected, but she felt lighter, like a burden had been lifted from her shoulders. Fiona, meanwhile, was deep in thought as her blue eyes met Vivienne's, "You've been through a lot Viv, and might I say, that I'm proud of you."

Vivienne clasped her hand tightly and they were interrupted with the curtain opening.

"Is everything alright my lady?" The seamstress who had led them into the room asked.

Fiona promptly brushed away the tears, "Yes, we shall let you know when we no longer require this room," she said haughtily.

The seamstress curtsied and left them alone once again. Fiona turned back and clasped Vivienne's hand tightly. "Thank you for sharing your story with me. I'll promise not to tell a soul and take your secret to my grave."

Vivienne gave her a small nod; it was one of the main reasons she had opened up to Fiona in the first place. She knew the lady could be trusted.

"There is a ball in the evening tonight, we should go to it," Fiona said casually.

Vivienne swallowed the bile rising in her throat, she didn't want to go anywhere else. If it were up to her, she would still be hiding in her room.

"You need to let lose Viv," Fiona said softly. "It will be fun and will help get your mind off James."

Knowing that Fiona wouldn't relent, Vivienne nodded. Fiona squealed, getting up from the chaise. "I just saw a gown that would go perfectly with your skin."

She pulled the curtain back and led Vivienne to the front of the shop once again. Her friend turned to her eyes twinkling, "One last question, if you don't want to answer it, you don't have to. But was the kiss better than the gothic romance novels I lent you last week?"

Vivienne couldn't help but laugh at the absurd question even as she blushed and nodded. Fiona's smile was an answer enough.

***

Vivienne stood in the corner of the room watching the couples on the dance floor. She still couldn't believe that Fiona had dragged her to Lady Albermay's ball when all she wanted to do was stay in bed, and perhaps read a book while cuddling Ginger. She missed her cat dearly—there was just something about the comfort pets provided.

The only thing she was grateful was for the fact that Lady Torrington had been too tired to attend the ball. The last thing she needed was the dowager scowling over her shoulder when she refused to dance with the two gentlemen who had already asked. It was easier to blend into the shadows, instead of facing the crowd. She took a sip of the sherry, letting the flavour settle onto her tongue.