꧁ᑕᕼᗩᑭTᗴᖇ 9꧂

for the past week or two, dad has been making Miguel and I train like crazy. we have been taught how to slither out of a chokehold. we have had to run almost every morning, learn how to dodge baseballs, and LOTS of knuckle pushups.

dad and Miguel were sparing with each other as I watched, dad went to elbow Miguel in the face, he blocked it. then Miguel swiped dad off his feet. of course, dad being dad, he shot a baseball at Miguel's head.

"what the hell! that... that wasn't fair!" Miguel groaned on the floor.

"Miggy! are you okay?" I asked running over to Miguel.

"Adelaide he is fine." dad started. "you want a fair fight? dream on. your enemies won't always play by the rules." he stated walking closer to Miguel who was still on the floor.

"Yeah, but... my ear." Miguel said breathlessly.

"what if that baseball was your enemy's friend coming at you from behind? you have to be prepared for everything." dad ranted. then Miguel stood up, holding his ear, whimpering in pain. dad pushed Miguel's hand out of the way to look at his ear. it was bruised and swollen as hell.

"oh my god, Miggy that's... that's bad!" I panicked.

"no, it's fine. dont be a baby." dad stated. then the door jingled, a few ladies walked in.

"hello." one of them greeted.

"ah shit." dad said rubbing his neck.

"it's 5 o'clock. twilight is upon us." the same lady from before stated.

"what's going on?" Miguel asked still out of breath.

"uh, I had to sublet the dojo for a few hours. just till we get more students." dad explained.

"we need to change the energy in here." a different lady said covering our motto with a poster that read,  "love is here to namaste!" then played some sitar music. I held myself back from bursting out laughing. Miguel honestly looked terrified.

the laid out the mats and started stretching. I excused myself to Dad's office where I let go and laugh hysterically.

***

Miguel was practicing his punches with dad. I practiced my kicking on the dummy. "what's the second rule of the Way of the Fist?" dad asked Miguel and i.

"strike hard." we replied in unison.

"that's right. there's only one reason to hit someone... to inflict pain. striking hard is about giving it your all." dad started until the doorbell jangled.

"what the hell? no yoga till five! no matter how bad you need it." dad exclaimed to the girl that walked in. it was Aisha!

"Uhm, I'm actually here for karate. I saw your website. it said that there was supposed to be a session today." she stated. I smiled knowing I wasn't going to be the only girl here.

"I appreciate you coming in, but there are no girls in cobra kai." dad said, I scoffed,

"what?! what about me? I'm not a dude. last time I checked I have a vag-" dad interrupted.

"you dont count. you're a Lawrence. karate is in your blood." I rolled my eyes.

"why not?" Aisha asked.

"the same reason there aren't women in the Army. doesn't make sense." dad stated. "dad... you do realize there are women in the Army... right?" I laughed. he said nothing.

"uh sensei I have to show you something in the office." Miguel said pulling my dad away.

I walked up to Aisha, "sorry about him... he is a little, how do you say it? stuck in the '80s!" I apologize chuckling.