Sick

Peter was completely fine. It wasn't like he had a pounding headache and his body hurt all over. It was probably just exhaustion, since he had patrolled until three in the morning yesterday. Besides, Peter couldn't even get sick, not since he became Spider-Man.

He powered through, pulling on jeans and a nerdy t-shirt then heading to the kitchen. May was struggling through some recipe, and the window was open, letting in fresh air that seemed to help his head, at least a bit. He snatched a couple of granola bars out of the pantry, grabbed his backpack, and walked out the door.

The walk to school made him feel a lot better overall, but the persisting crummy-ness still followed him. He hopped into the train and held onto one of the railings, though it just made him dizzy. He didn't usually get motion sick, but today seemed to be an exception. A buzz from his pocket startled him slightly. He pulled it out and saw he had a text from Ned.

Wanna build the Lego star fighter after school today?

He grinned. They had been looking forward to this, but he was also supposed to work on the suit today after school. He thought maybe he would just crash on the couch Tony had in his lab.

Sorry, man, but I can't. How about Saturday?

Deal, but only if you sleep over.

Cool, I'll be there.

The train screeched to a stop and Peter had to resist the urge to cover his ears. Sometimes it really sucked to have enhanced hearing. People jostled him as he exited the train and Peter almost nearly threw up right on the spot. I just have to make it through school, then Mr. Stark will probably make me take a nap if I look as bad as I feel. He could endure seven hours. After all, he was a superhero, practically an Avenger, so he had to be strong. Superheroes don't just get days off.

Jogging up the steps of his school, Peter glanced around for Ned, finding his guy in a chair waiting just outside the front entrance.

"Dude, you will never believe what happened yesterday," Ned started excitedly, but stopped short as he examined Peter. "You look terrible. Do you think you're sick?"

"No way, I'm all good. Just tired, is all. I can't get sick anymore, not since I-I um, got my internship." He finished awkwardly, remembering he was in a public place and someone might overhear him.

"Ok, but if you feel any worse, please call someone or go home. Missing one day of school isn't going to kill you." Ned had seen right past his "I can't get sick, I'm just tired" excuse. Peter took a moment to appreciate what a good best friend he had.

"Thanks, Ned. I'll see you in second period!" He called as the bell rang for his first class, and he started walking in that direction.

Sitting in his math class, Peter started feeling worse. He groaned as quietly as possible, and put his head down into his arms. His stomach and head ached horribly, and all Peter wanted to do was sleep.

"Peter, would you care to tell the class the answer to question number fifteen?" Crap. He hadn't gotten the homework finished last night and today had to be the one day they actually went over it. He hurriedly looked up at the board where the question was written. Thankfully, it was a fairly easy problem, and only took him a few seconds to figure it out.

"It's 23 to the 67th power plus 8." He hoped he was right. It could easily have been a couple digits off.

"That is correct, though if you don't pay attention in class I will have to send you to detention." His teacher said sternly.

"Yes, Mrs. Kuhn. Sorry."

He and Ned had second period science together, so they usually sat in the back and chatted. Today Peter just wasn't feeling it, and Ned picked that up, so they stayed quiet and tried to pay attention. Mr. Harrington was probably their nicest teacher, so he let their talking slide, mainly because both friends were straight A students and aced every test or assignment given to them.