Messed Up

There were about 15 minutes before Clay would come for dinner so I started getting ready. I put on a casual, purple striped dress and did my hair and makeup. I went downstairs and saw my mom finishing up the food she was making.

"You look great Y/N!" my mom complimented.

"Thanks Mom, what are you making?" 

"Just some chicken alfredo," she said.

I nodded and smiled, starting to set the table. A couple of minutes later, we heard the doorbell ring and I ran to open the door. I opened it and saw Clay who was wearing a tan-colored sweatshirt and some jeans. I smiled and hugged him.

"Hi Clay!"

"Hi Y/N!"

I showed him inside and led him to the kitchen where my mom was finishing up the pasta. I heard Clay took a big, nervous breath and squeezed his hand to reassure him.

"Hi Ms. L/N (last name), it's nice to meet you," he said, smiling a little.

My mom walked toward him. "Hi! Y/N told me that you like to be called Dream, is that right?"

"Yeah," he replied shyly.

"It's nice to meet you too and please just call me Leah. I've heard good things about you!"

Clay laughed a little, "Thank you, Leah."

We all sat down and started eating. My mom asked Clay a few questions about his family and school and other general things to get to know him better. It was slightly awkward but for the most part, it was a good time. Clay eventually started warming up to my mom and they seemed to get along fine.

After finishing our meals, Clay offered to wash the dishes and we talked some more.

"Thank you again for the meal Leah," Clay said.

"It's no problem, please come over whenever you'd like," my mom told him, hugging him.

He smiled and nodded. Clay and I said goodbye to my mom and went outside to the park. When we got there I decided that I needed to talk to him about how he was acting earlier.

"Clay, can I talk to you?" I asked, sitting down on the grass.

"Uh sure Y/N, what's up?"

I sighed and looked at him. "Why were you acting so strange earlier during brunch?"

"What do you mean?"

"You were acting all jealous and stuff."

"I was not being jealous!" Clay defended himself, raising his voice a little.

I could tell that Clay was getting a little angry with my accusation but I started getting annoyed at his reaction.

"Don't deny it! You were definitely jealous and I don't know why! Why is it such a big deal if I hug Wilbur or talk to Karl? Do you not trust me?" I added, yelling a little. Why am I getting so mad?

"Of course I trust you Y/N, you're my girlfriend!"

"And they're our friends! You should know that they would never do anything to hurt you like that and I wouldn't either. In fact, I've been friends with them way longer than I've been your girlfriend. I probably know twice as much about them as I do about you. We've been a group for years and just a couple of weeks ago I couldn't even tolerate you! I hated you and despised you and now-" I paused and my voice went quiet, "And now I remember why." 

Clay's angry face softened a little as I said my last sentence. He was a little shocked at my comment and frankly, I was too.

"If you hate me then why are you still here?" 

I set out a quiet sigh and looked at the ground, leaning my back against a tree. The world around us went silent as if it was stunned by our argument as well. I was upset. Upset with Clay, upset with what he said, upset with me.

"I should go, it's getting dark," I whispered just loud enough for him to hear.

He nodded and got up. He walked behind me to my house and looked me in the eyes. Without a word, he left and I walked inside. I shut the door behind me, leaned against it, and sighed. When I heard my mom, I quickly got away from the door and put on a smile.

"Hey! Was the walk fun?" she asked me.

I nodded quickly. "Yup, it was great! I'm kind of tired, I'm gonna go to sleep now, goodnight!" I said, trying to get out of the conversation.

I ran upstairs and shut the door. My mind was filled with emotions, anger, sadness, regret, everything. I laid on my bed, repeating the conversation in my head. A million questions swirled around as I desperately tried to find the answers. I let out a noise of frustration and swung up from my bed. I pushed myself onto the ground and rolled into a ball with my back leaning against my wall.

"If you hate me then why are you still here?" Clay's voice lingered in my head.

Because I love you.

-----

Clay/Dream POV

TW: Hate comments, self-deprecation

I sat by my desk staring at the wall in front of me before everything that had just happened hit me. I banged my desk and scolded myself. My hands almost immediately went to my phone and I opened up my photos. I saw the dumb thing that started this whole thing and quickly went tense. Despite my warnings to Y/N I still often found myself looking at the hateful tweets, begging to see what people thought of me, and now I would pay the price.

@antidream0123
Dream you're pathetic, a waste of life. Your fans deserve better, your friends deserve better, and your girlfriend deserves better. 

@user8582347
I feel so bad for Y/N, she has to deal with this stupid, sad cheater as her boyfriend. She could do so much better.

@toxicperson2147
Y/N please, find someone else, anyone else because Dream doesn't deserve you or anything good in this world. Cheat on him, dumb him, lie to him, I don't care just leave.

I kept scrolling through the screenshots. My eyes started to water at all the hate coming through these tweets. 

I wasn't jealous, I was scared. Scared Y/N would leave me for someone better, scared she would realize that she's way too good for me, scared she would listen to the tweets, to the comments, to the world. Scared she would realize that they were all right. I let each and every word of the hate sink into me and I started believing them. Pathetic, sad, and stupid.

I opened up Discord and hesitantly called Wilbur. I didn't want to talk to him or anyone about the situation but I knew I had to and it was the only way I could fix it.

"Dream?"

"H-hey Wilbur," my shaky voice said.

"You ok Dream? You sound a little weird," Wilbur asked, knowing that there was a problem.

"Wilbur, I messed up."

-----

Y/N POV

"Niki, I messed up," I blurted in a quiet voice.

"Y/N, what happened?"

"W-we," I stuttered before taking a big breath and continuing, "We were at brunch and Clay started acting weird. He was being protective and jealous and I don't know why. So I asked him and we got into a fight and now I'm not sure what to do anymore."

"Oh Y/N," Niki frowned, "It's gonna be ok-"

"NO NIKI IT'S NOT! I TOLD HIM I HATED HIM!" I yelled through the computer, "I did what I didn't want to do the most. I hurt him."

-----

1235 words

Published on 4/16/21

A/N: *nervously laughs* Aha, heyyy. Um, how are we doing? So this was an...interesting chapter and it also wasn't the most well-written either but I tried. I'm going to try to publish the next chapter this weekend so look out for that. Thank you for reading and take care, bye!