Chapter 2

CHAPTER TWO

Snow fell to the ground, covering everything in sight with a thick, downy blanket of white. It was the kind of snow that fell in tufts, resembling something closer to cotton balls as opposed to delicate flakes. Cars whizzed by despite the inclement weather; while others took their time as if the whole world had nothing better to do than wait for them.

Shoppers were out in full force. As always, Wynn marveled at the amount of people that waited less than a week before Christmas to do the bulk of their shopping. People walked past her, dozens of bags hanging over arms piled high with apparel, bumping into fellow shoppers and glaring at them as if it were the other patrons’ fault. Another thing, among many, that marveled her—people’s uncanny ability to get unnaturally nasty when shopping during the holidays.

It’s Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas played over Macy’s speakers in full force holiday cheer while Wynn watched on as Gemma debated for the millionth time between the Dooney & Bourke handbag or the Coach one.

She held both bags out, examining each with the detail of a Gemologist. “I love the colors in the Dooney & Bourke, but the Coach is more practical, classic. I don’t know. What do you think?” She turned towards Wynn, her face expectant.

Bored with the purse analysis, Wynn gathered her shoulder length hair, freshly highlighted in honey tones, into a makeshift ponytail and wrapped a hair band around it. “I don’t know, Gem. Just pick one. I thought we were supposed to be shopping for gifts?”

Gemma glanced up, narrowing her eyes. “I am. This is my gift to myself. I’m allowed to indulge myself with one gift.” She sniffed and tilted her head upwards, inspecting the Coach purse once again.

Wynn rolled her eyes. “You’ve bought four things. And so far, they all have been for you.”

“Whatever. Fine. I won’t get either of them then.” Gemma handed the purses back to the sales lady, who shot Wynn a disgruntled look. “I don’t know why you have to be such a Debbie Downer, just because you have, like, a million people you shop for and don’t ever bother to buy yourself anything.”

Despite her better judgment, Wynn laughed. “You have people you could exchange gifts with if you wanted, you just choose not to.”

“That’s because by the time you’re done buying for everyone on your list, you’ve spent hundreds of dollars, maybe even thousands. And you have gotten the same amount of things in return, except the things you’ve gotten are either useless or things you just flat-out don’t want. So…you can just save yourself all the trouble in the first place by making the decision not to buy for each other then you can go out and spend all the money you would’ve spent buying for others on yourself. In the end, you get what you really want for the same amount of money, if not less, and so does everyone else. Plus, you don’t have a room full of junk on Christmas morning. Everyone wins. My way is genius, really.”

A laugh escaped Wynn as she shook her head. She led them past the perfume counters towards the jewelry section, successfully sidestepping the employee trying to sell the new Donna Karan scent. Gemma’s family was the only one she knew in existence which had the means to buy anything they wanted for each other on Christmas, but just chose not to.

“Besides, I bought you a gift,” Gemma said, reaching over and yanking Wynn’s hair band out. “You just got this done and you’re going to hide it?” She flipped a hand through Wynn’s glossy locks.

“Yes! A prime example of a useless gift.”

Gemma scoffed. “Useless? If you don’t like movie star hair, then I guess you’re right. You’ll be thanking me when Mr. Gorgeous asks you out again.”