Flight-280B_BuenosAires-Argentina

"I can't believe Hill won't let us use a quintet," I groan under my breath.

I peer sideways out of the corner of my eye. The line waiting for the security check at Reagan National Airport is lengthy in the mid-afternoon rush, and Spencer and I risk being overheard if we aren't careful. Luckily, it seems that the people around us are preoccupied with their devices or enveloped in their own conversations

Spencer looks over his shoulder before craning his head down to meet my gaze. "We have our orders, Harper."

"It's just... airports make me nervous." Shifting my backpack on my shoulder, I purse my lips. "Too many eyes."

"You know a jet would be too conspicuous— with or without cloaking."

I take a steady breath. "Yes, I know. We'll just have to be careful."

I slip my hand into my side pocket, uncomfortable with how bare I feel without my sidearm. I never would've thought that I would be used to carrying a gun— I only started carrying one after getting my level five clearance. It has become a comfort to have one with me during missions now. Unfortunately, we had to check both our bags when we arrived, including all of our weapons and more "unusual" technology. They wouldn't have passed the metal detectors of the security check, and it's better to not make a scene than to have to pull out our badges and get the higher-ups at SHIELD involved.

"You're sure the bags are safe?" I ask, changing the conversation to something else.

Spencer wraps an arm around my shoulders, giving me a warm look. "Yes, of course," he says, "What's got you worried so much? This is just a recognisance mission. No big deal."

"I don't know it's just a feeling..." I mutter under my breath, "...I can't really describe it."

"Just think, Harper, we'll be done here in a week and we'll get to go home to our nice new apartment in DC. How does that sound?"

I lean forward on my toes to put my head on his shoulder. "Like heaven."

The air radiates vibrance and laps at my cheeks and the back of my neck with its heavy warmth. Early July heat isn't foreign to me, but it's different here. Hotter. Spencer and I's bags roll behind us as we round the side of the airport to the front road. Cars stop and start as they drop people off and wait to pick them up. Cigarette smoke and car exhaust are all I can smell, and the noise makes me want to leave here as soon as possible.

"So, I was thinking," Spencer starts as we line up on the curb to wait for a taxi, "Why don't we take some time for ourselves while we're here— go see the city. I've heard it's beautiful."

I smirk at him. "Having second thoughts about getting back to DC, Spencer?"

"No, not at all. Just thought it'd be nice to have some time between us that wasn't just about accomplishing a mission."

"I don't know..."

He gives me his signature adoring gaze that's just so hard to refuse. "Please, Harper. For me?"

"Maybe," I relent. His smile eases back onto his face. "But only If we have some time off!" I add, hoping it wipes that smug look off his face.

Spencer kisses the top of my head, whispering something into my hair that I can't hear over the sound of the traffic.

Usually, I would be all for breaking a little protocol, especially if it means getting some alone time with Spencer, but I'm already starting to get tired of this assignment. I want nothing more than to go back to the new apartment, to be able to find a new normal amongst the chaos that is being a SHIELD agent.