As she pushed the translucent door, her dad sat upright opposite Riddhima scrolling through her phone. She had what Annika liked to call flying hair. Her hair was never tied. She wore a long gown-like floral frock that added grace to her. But her hair strands were always haphazard. Omkara sat beside her, sharing a joke with Rudra. Riddhima smiled but not at Om, at her phone.

Annika exhaled stepping in.

"Ah, finally you're here! You left early today- we were coming anyway."

Annika glanced at Omkara from the corners, "I thought I had a meeting. But half of the office is out for the branch meeting- Ah. Now I'm here, I don't know how I forgot something so important."

"It's not your fault Annika. The time zones- are hard to get used to," Shakti spoke.

"Ya dad, maybe. So what's the occasion? Family lunch at the office today haa?'

"No, we're here for the contra-"

But Riddhima was interrupted by Om, "to discuss some contracts-"

"Hmm," Annika's eyes searched for the files. Finding them next to Rudy, she grinned at him, blinking at him. He blinked back. She blinked again, telling him to pass the files. But he continued to blink. Shakti and Om laughed, the sounds of which ticked Annika off for some reason.

"Rudy! Pass the files," Annika spoke a bit too loud that shook Rudra.

"Annika it's not his fault," Om says, soft and careful, "Why are you getting angry on him?"

"You're right. I should be angry with the one whose fault this is,"

"What are you talking about?"

"Why does everyone act so innocent," she says, rolling her eyes, "not here, not now be- what is it you want to talk about?"

Riddhima looks up from her phone," Annika, you might know my contract- with the Oberoi Entrenches is ending next month. So I needed-"

"Oh I saw a renewal document in here somewhere," Annika hunted through the files organized by Shivay.

Before Omkara speaks, Ridhima does, "No, I need the-the termination ones."

"You're all either comedians or just really really insane."

"I'm serious Annika," Ridhima repeats.

But Annika just starts laughing, "Of course you're going to be my best friend's wife, there's no need for the contract anyway."

"Actually-" Riddhima runs her hand, calming her flying hair. She looks at Om, who's only slightly nodding in refusal. But Riddhima seems stiff, almost slipping.

"We are not getting married. Om and I aren't together anymore."

"Wha- what are you saying? I basically bought the boutique for both of you yesterday- after asking Om- and now you're telling me- that you're not together anymore? What changes in a damn day?"

"A lot. But we've not been on speaking terms for days. I thought you knew-" she says, moving her blaming stare to Om. His eyes were locked to the floor, no words left in his mouth.

"Om," Annika mumbled, getting up with a thud, "just go home."

***

I stumbled out the door, asking my tears to pause. At least until I reach my office. Don't cry, Annika. Don't.

Closing the doors, I fall to the ground. Tears streaming down like the Niagra falls. My mascara is probably smudged infinitely, turning me into a scary nun.

I hear a thud from the corners. Someone's in the room. Near the bookshelf, he stands awkwardly with several stationery items jammed in his grasp.

"I'm just going- I thought you'd be gone for longer, so I was setting things back up. Now that Peehu ma'am won't be back soon," he says, stacking the items in a hurry.

I closed my eyes, wiping my face, "Get. Out. Now."

"Ma'am I just need to say-"

"GET THE HELL OUT. SHIVAY. NOW." I scream so loud my own ears ring.

But he doesn't go. He's so stubborn, I'm going to kill him. I should fire him right now.

"Ma'am you need to calm down. Breathe, it will be fine. This isn't going to last as long as you think it is."

"Don't you get it Shivay? This doesn't stop. When one problem ends, another pops up. And these migraines and jetlag day and night aren't making it easier. You say 'Stop crying, it will all be fine'. But you don't even know what I'm going through," I almost tear up again, shuddering.

"No, I don't. But you can't break like that every time someone upsets you. You're Annika Singh Oberoi. You've faced worse than that- I know that first hand," he points to himself,"

I feel like smiling at his stupid stupid joke. This guy is crazy. Crazy charming. Not charming like an angel, but like the devil.

I straighten, wiping the tear marks away, "You should go, I have meetings on my plate," I catch the time on my watch," and I look like a mess."

Just then, his pager buzzes, "Yeah, you have one right now and-they don't seem the patient kind."

"Oh shit," I get up to find the files required.

"They are already-"

"Just remembered," I speed, "you've kept them already. Okay, move- what are you waiting for?"

"You."

I stare at him. Is he as mindless as the response he's given?

"I'm right here- ready to go. Come on!"

"You're here, but you're not ready," he says, making a squishy face.

"What do you mean I'm not ready? I don't need to be ready. I'm the Boss here. I don't do long preps and speeches. It's ready or not, here I come out here," I practically scowl.

He just gives me the same mindless stare," Have you seen your face, If you go out there like that- there's no way they are coming back."

I bite my lower lip, realizing, "Okay you've made your point, now get lost."

He laughs, nodding but moving towards the door all the same.

★ ☽ ★

Too many words in this one. The beginning has a short flashback for an anecdote included in the next chapter. Hope you like it.

I'm so late! Heartful apologies. Ps. Going to drop the next one tomorrow or day after to make up for it.

I

miss ishqbaaaz so much right now. Those 700 episodes also seem less. I've rewatched it so many times.

Vote! Comment if you feel like and stay safe wherever you are!