Dreams

hey! sorry i didn't update for a while. if you follow my tumblr (jessromina) you would know that i had no internet for the past month. let me know some story ideas you want written. i want to start writing again, but i don't know what. also, this story is morrijack based so if you don't like that, you can come back for the next story.

{~~~}

She woke up in a cold sweat and threw the blankets off herself. The images from her nightmares flashed in her mind. Squall. Fire. Crows. Family. Blood.

Tears escaped from Morrigan's eyes and she hastily wiped them away. She settled back onto her pillows and closed her eyes, trying to rid her mind of any fears she may still have and tried to welcome sleep but it did not come.

She tossed and turned, flipped the pillows to the cold side, pulled her blanket up to her waist, pulled it back off, but nothing worked. She was not able to go to sleep.

Morrigan swung her legs over the side of the bed and very lightly placed her feet on the floorboards. She tiptoed over to her bedroom door and slowly opened it. As she entered the Deucalion's halls, she stayed light on her toes, not wishing for a floorboard to creak under her body weight.

She quietly made her way down to the kitchens, wincing every time she slightly made a noise. When she got there she was surprised to find that the light was on, meaning someone was in there.

"Hello?" she called.

"Morrigan?"

"Jack?"

She entered the kitchen and found the black haired boy standing at the open door of the fridge, ice cream in his hand.

"Hey," he chuckled nervously.

"What are you doing awake?" questioned Morrigan. She walked over to a drawer and grabbed out a spoon before walking over to where he stood and scooping out some of his ice cream and putting it in her mouth.

"I can ask you the same, and don't steal my food!"

"It's two o'clock in the morning. The kitchens are a free for all."

"It's two o'clock in the morning. You shouldn't be awake."

Morrigan grabbed another spoonful of ice cream and considered lying, saying she came down for a glass of water but she then realised Jack wasn't wearing his eye patch.

"I had a nightmare." She watched as Jack's eyebrows furrowed in concern. He placed the ice cream down on a bench nearby and closed the fridge. He grabbed the spoon out of Morrigan's hand and put it next to the ice cream, along with his.

"Let's go up to your room." He grabbed her hand and led the way, stroking his thumb along the back of hers.

When they made it back to her room, Morrigan dropped his hand and moved back into the comfort of her bed. She pulled the covers up to her chest and rested her back on the pillows behind her. She watched as Jack moved around the other side of the bed and sat next to her. After a moment of silence, he whispered into the darkness, "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No," replied Morrigan. She felt tears pool in her eyes and fought to keep them back. Just as she felt she was about to break, Jack wrapped an arm around her, pulling her into his shoulder. This is where she let herself collapse.

The tears came as if a wall had been holding them back. All the emotional stress that had been held over the past couple of weeks was released. The Charlton Five. Jupiter's disappearances. Squall. All this had caused so much pain for Morrigan and all she had done was bottle it up. It felt good to finally let it out.

Jack waited it out. He stroked her hair and drew unrecognisable patterns on the inside of her arm. When she was done crying, he wiped the tears from her cheeks.

Morrigan looked up at Jack and saw the shadow of a smile on his face.

"What?" She sniffed.

"You're so strong, Morrigan." He chuckled. "I don't know how you do it. You go to school and you get bullied. You come back and Jupiter isn't even home so you just get on with your life. And then you try to have an escape, you go to sleep but all of it comes back with an addition of Squall. Yet you move on. I don't know how you do it, Mog."

Morrigan looked down to her lap and whispered, "I don't."

"Pardon?"

"I don't. I bottle everything up and then this happens."

Morrigan felt soft fingers touch the side of her face as Jack pushed a strand of hair behind her ear before cupping her chin.

"I'm always here for you, Morrigan. I need you to know that. When I'm home, I'm all yours, okay? Whenever you need me, come and get me. I can't stand to see you upset."

Morrigan nodded. All of a sudden she was finding it hard to breathe. She knew she liked Jack, but she didn't know her feelings were this strong. With his hand under her chin and his other arm around her shoulder, the proximity between the two became quite clear.

She felt as the hand on her shoulder slipped down to her waist. Her heart started to beat faster as she watched Jack lean in closer. She mirrored his movements and felt their lips collide. She knew the kiss was only a couple of seconds but it felt like minutes. When they pulled away Morrigan was frozen.

"Mog, I'm sorry—"

"I like you Jack." She was surprised by her own confidence. "I have for a while, but I just didn't know if you felt the same."

Jack's mouth turned up at the corners as his face stretched into a grin. "I like you too, ever since you walked into the kitchen the first day we met. You were so sure of yourself and I knew then at that moment, I was going to be yours." He grabbed her hand and stroked the back of it, similar to how he had on the way up here. "I'm sorry it took so long."

Morrigan giggled. "It's okay." She yawned and leant into her pillows.

"Sleepyhead."

"Eyepatch."

"I'm not wearing it."

"Two-eyes."

"You have two eyes too!"

"But I'm superior."

"Sure you are, Mog. Sure you are."

Sleep started to take over Morrigan's body, but not before she felt Jack lightly kiss her forehead and pad over to her door.

"Goodnight, Mog."

"Goodnight, Jack."

The door clicked as Jack exited the room, and instead of dreaming of a man with a split eyebrow, she dreamed of a black-haired boy who had stolen her heart.

1068 words