[9] Harbinger of News

Start from the beginning

" 'I'm not looking for a fight' he says." you remark with slight sarcasm.

Childe's lips thinned, crossing his arms. "Signora gave you quite the bad impression huh? Tsk, that woman... Can't say I'm a fan either." he glances back at you. "Right, let's all forget about her, shall we? I'm here to help you."

'Don't make me laugh. It's not 'I'm heRe to heLp yoU.' It's you using me for intel. You completely betrayed my sibling (Traveler) at the end!'

'Wait. We just met. It's only the beginning of the narrative. He hasn't done anything bad... yet.'

'What if I can... somewhat get along with him?'

You nod in understanding. "Alright, how can you help me?"

"Come now, don't be like that--" he pauses. He stares back at you with slight shock. He expected you to be reluctant. "Wait, what?"

"(Y/n) be careful. He's one of the Fatui Harbingers!" Paimon warns with worry.

She thinks you're a bit naive towards the Fatui. But that's far from the truth. Not after the last encounter with a horrible harbinger.

'My old world had taught me to be kind first, because you can always be rude later.

But once you've been rude to someone, they won't believe the kindness anymore.

So be kind, until it's time to stop being kind, then destroy them.'

"...Wow, you agreed quite quickly. Can't say I'm not surprised. You do realize that I could potentially be a bad guy? ...Well, not really... Okay perhaps I'm kind of a bad guy, but I'm not here to give you any trouble."

"Right, I understand. You haven't done anything wrong." 'yet.' "Our swords are now sheathed. I assure you that we won't be hostile to you."

Childe smiles. "Haha, I thank you for your knightly nobility, (Y/n). I heard of your deeds in Mondstadt, so I couldn't help but notice you during the proceedings back there."

'Oh no, he must've noticed that I was with Diluc and the others.' you nervously shuffle.

"And because I had my eye on you the whole time, I know it wasn't you. Someone else was clearly behind it." he says.

'...Huh?'

'It seems that Childe doesn't know that I came with important people from Mondstadt.'

'Well, it makes sense. He only heard of my deeds, not witness them.'

The Harbinger folds his arms in dismay. He continues, "But... regrettably, given I'm a Fatui envoy from Snezhnaya... there's no way I'd be trusted after something of this magnitude. The Ruling Qixing of Liyue has always been overly suspicious of us."

Paimon glowers. "Well can you honestly blame them?"

He falls back to his cheery attitude. "Hahaha. I guess I shouldn't try to deny that."

"At least he's self-aware." you mutter under your breath.

"Okay, sure. Maintaining a distance between strangers is probably a good idea. Either way, I'm already used to it at this stage. But right now, if you want to clear yourself of suspicion - you need to get yourselves to Northland Bank."

"Northland Bank..." you raise your head to the direction of the building.

Childe gave you a gentle grin. "Staying here isn't an option. As the old Liyue saying goes: 'The walls have ears.'."