But looking at Adam made my heart ache even more. I'd only see Adam at school, as friends. We couldn't be together and it made me both angry and sad. I wanted to find some way to make it work, but my parents would never go for it and Alexander would hate me.

I didn't want Adam to die...

The bell rang, making me jump as I looked up. Adam was swinging his bag over his shoulder, glancing at me with a raised eyebrow. I cleared my throat awkwardly, feeling my cheeks get warm as I gathered up my things.

"I'll follow you from a good ways back," Adam told me calmly as we walked out of class, walking so close that I could feel his hot breath on my neck, making the hairs on my arms stand on end, "Find him and ask. If I think something's gonna happen, I'll come out." I nodded and looked straight ahead, trying to act natural as I started down the hallway toward Mr. Takahashi's classroom.

I took my time, giving the hallway time to bustle before slowly clearing out as kids ran for the buses or their parents' cars or sports meetings. I passed Walter in the hallway and he looked sick to his stomach, making me smirk. He used to run at me if I did that, but now he just rushed away, gripping his cross necklace and muttering under his breath.

Okay, it paid to be a vampire sometimes.

I kept walking, looking up ahead and spotting Mr. Takahashi walking out of his classroom with his things, his jacket snug on him. My eyes widened and I picked up the pace.

"Mr. Takahashi!" I called. He looked up, frowning a little as he pushed his glasses up on his nose, tucking his keys away.

"Mr. Grey. Don't you have a ride to catch?" He asked. I almost asked how he knew, but that would be a stupid question since a lot of parents came to pick their kids up and he probably saw me get into my mom's car a couple times. I shifted a little, blushing lightly as I brushed the hair out of my face.

"Uhm, I just wanted to... apologize. Like, for this morning," I added quickly when he frowned at me, "Not bringing my homework. I swear I have it done. I just... I'm having a lot of family issues right now, so it's hard to concentrate." Mr. Takahashi's expression softened as he gave a short nod.

"I understand all too well, Mr. Grey. I hope everything's all right." He added. I smiled nervously and tried hard not to glance over my shoulder to find Adam, peering up at Mr. Takahashi.

"Uhm, maybe... I don't know. I just... Sorta butted heads with my parents." I admitted, shrugging as I tried to use my situation with them to my advantage. And I had to find a way to get Mr. Takahashi to fess up about why he tricked me without actually asking him point blank. First, I had to find out if he was a pervert. Seriously, that would be nice to know, but I wasn't about to drop anyone's pants to find out, so I cleared my throat as Mr. Takahashi's mouth worked into a frown again.

I noticed he never really smiled either and when he did, it was a tight-lipped smile like he was forcing himself. I didn't even know what the inside his mouth looked like...

Not that I wanted to know!

That sounds rough. I hope you can get it resolved so you can focus on your schoolwork." He told me, making me smile brightly as I leaned on the balls of my feet innocently.

"Yup, me too. It'd be nice to live with my brother, though. Alexander. I told you about him when you gave me that survey thing." I added, making Mr. Takahashi's dark eyes flicker behind his glasses. He averted his eyes for a moment toward the clock that was in the hallway before looking back at me, indicating that he was rushing this conversation.

"Yes, he sounded like a nice brother."

"He is. He taught me most of what I know, except the fighting."