15. Of Stories and Memories

Chapter Fifteen

Of Stories and Memories

Liam got there before I did. Close behind, I had to peer around him to see what was going on. Dominic laid above the covers as he thrashed across the bed. His skin was covered in sweat and I noticed his extended claws made cut into the cushions.

I pushed Liam aside and stepped closer to the bed. Liam placed his hands on my shoulder. "He will hurt you."

I shook out of his hold. "He'd never hurt me." Dominic let out another shout, causing me to wince. He flipped onto his stomach, then his back again.

"No!" He clawed into the bed again, tearing through the cotton. "No!"

I turned around and pushed against Liam's solid chest. "Listen, I'm going to need you to step out of here."

Liam frowned. "No. I must keep you safe."

I hardened my stare. "He won't hurt me. He needs privacy. Please, leave."

Liam blinked several times. Finally, he stepped backward enough so that I could close the door. I knew Dominic; he wouldn't want them to see him like this. He probably wouldn't want me to see him like this either, but he'll have to suck it up.

"Dominic?" I crept closer. He groaned in response. "Hey, Dom. You're okay."

He flopped on his stomach again, nails clawing deep into the mattress. I tentatively sat beside him on the bed. My hand hovered above his shoulder before gently placing on his scorching skin.

Growling, Dominic hoisted my body and slammed me against the matters. He loomed above me, nose-to-nose, with eyes glowing and sharp teeth barred. His chest heaved against my own, nearly suffocating me.

"Dominic." I pressed against his chest, feeling just how hot his skin had become. "You're crushing me."

"Don't contain me," he seethed in a voice too low to be human. "I can't breathe!"

I cupped his cheeks in my hand, despite his teeth nearly taking a finger off. "Dominic, it's me. You're safe with me."

He groaned, blurry eyes slowly focusing on me. "Cecily?"

"Yeah."

Dominic rubbed his head against my hands. Groaning, he nestled into my neck, puffing out a sigh that tickled my skin. Dominic wrapped his arms and legs around my body. "Don't go."

I stroked my fingers through his hair. "I won't."

"Promise me." I flinched at the heartbreak in his words.

"I promise," I replied in a whisper.

He fell asleep shortly after. Despite how difficult it was to breathe, I didn't dare try to move. Blanketed by his warmth, I nearly fell asleep myself, though the constant pattering of my heart wouldn't allow it. I remembered another time, a simpler time, when being wrapped up in his arms was all I ever wanted at the end of the day.

The red ruby necklace burned, reminding me that nothing is easy. Not anymore.

Hours later, the door creaks open. Walker eyes blinked rapidly. "Ah, do you want any food? I've made some sandwiches."

"Sure."

He spared a quick glance at Dominic. "Should I bring two?"

"Bring ten," Dominic mumbled, words slurred from lips being pressed against my neck.