o10. 𝘖𝘔𝘌𝘕𝘚 𝘖𝘍 𝘋𝘌𝘈𝘛𝘏

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. . ." Estela trailed away, voice dying in her throat as she spotted a curly mane of magenta hunched over one of the jukeboxes. "But I think I just found someone better."

Dick followed her line of sight and pressed his lips in a determined line. He advanced towards the woman, a tidal wave of overprotectiveness dousing him, all towards the young teen he'd grown to care for.

Estela's eyes widened for a fraction of a second before speed-walking towards them, hoping to God that Dick wouldn't do something stupid—which she knew was likely.

"Excuse me," he said rather loudly. Thankfully, indistinct conversations from strangers' around them muffled it out.

Still, the woman didn't turn around, and just fumbled with the jukebox as if she hadn't heard Dick at all.

"Hey. I gotta talk to you," he tried again.

Finally, the mystery woman turned around for the briefest moment, and Estela caught dark green eyes staring back at them.

"Yeah, take a number," she told Dick almost dismissively before turning her fur coat-covered back to them.

Estela snickered. "What this idiot means is," she said, shooting Dick a look, "that we're here to talk to you. About Rachel."

Simple words but it did the work. The woman paused and finally turned around, leaning against the edge behind her as she raised a perfectly sculpted brow at them. Her eyes landed on Dick first.

"You're Dick from Detroit," she said with a hint of realization. "So that makes you—" her head tilted towards Estela next "—Estela. Rachel's told me about you."

Estela smirked a little. "All good things I hope?"

The woman shrugged. "Better than what she told me about Dick."

A small laugh bubbled out of Estela's chest. "I love your boots, by the way."

"Thank you," she replied with a dazzling smile.

Dick subtlety rolled his eyes. "Alright, come on, where is she?" he asked the woman impatiently.

She set her lips in a straight line and jutted her chin towards the arcade booth behind them. Estela turned, relief swelling in her chest upon seeing Rachel. She was standing beside a teenage boy with green hair, already looking at her with a small smile, which only dropped when her stare turned to Dick. 

"Hey, come on," he told her firmly. "We're going."

"What are you doing here?" she asked him angrily.

"Now's not the time, okay?"

"Dick," chided Estela

"Why are you here?" Rachel repeated, this time with an added glare.

"We've come to get you, Rach," the dark-haired woman told her in a much gentler tone. "Look, there's still people after you and you're all the way out in the open."

"I'm not going anywhere with him," she told Estela.

Dick sighed. "Can we talk about this somewhere else? Let's go." And before Rachel could protest any further, he started making his way towards the exit, the other woman following in suit after giving Rachel a knowing look.