Chapter 55 - Blessed was the Toffee

Start from the beginning

Sirius released her from the hug and clasped her shoulders, "Can't promise that." He smiled again, then he diverted his eyes behind her to the two young men. The smile dropped from his handsome face.

"Loverboy, a word. Outside. Alone."

Betelgeuse saw her uncle turn around and depart, leaving behind an uncomfortable silence. She shifted her attention to Fred; the boy was unusually pale, and he stumbled a few times as he walked to the door.

"He is a dead man," George deadpanned.

Betelgeuse crackled softly, "No, he is not. My uncle can seem dramatic, but he is not as dangerous as —" She abruptly stopped before she made the mistake of revealing too much.

George eyed her knowingly, "— as the Proud Slytherin?"

Betelgeuse smiled, nodding bashfully. George smiled back, taking her hand, "Bel, you are my best friend and whatever you are for my stupid brother. If you haven't yet told us who this person is, you have your reasons. However, know that we're here for you," he finished giving her hand a tight squeeze.

"Thank you, George," Betelgeuse replied quietly.

"Talking about my daft older twin," George grinned as he saw his best friend huff, "You finally got together?"

"What are you blabbering about, George?"

"Oh, come on, Bel, don't give me that! Even a troll could see you two are in love; for crying out loud!" The red-haired teenager hollered. His exclamation was met with a blank stare from the Black. George continued, undaunted, "And about time! Any longer, and I would've thrown the poor sod from the Astronomy Tower. I mean, having to hear Fred go on and on about 'Oh, she was so adorable, George — I want to kiss her again, I want to hug her and kiss her again, properly' was exasperating. I had to kick him out of my bed. Properly!"

"I was not that bad!" Fred cried from the threshold.

Betelgeuse turned to him, investigating his appearance. Aside from a fierce blush, he was unarmed. "Oh, you are still alive."

"You sound disappointed," Fred rebuked, scowling.

She smirked, "No, I am only surprised."

"Yeah, tell me about that," he replied, sitting beside his brother, "your uncle's scary, and he asked for a Dungbomb. For a second, I thought he wanted to throw it at me as he looked at it with a mad glint in his eyes — the same scary glint you have when you want to hex someone, Bel — yeah, scary." He did not offer further explanations, and he refused to discuss what he and Sirius had talked about.

"Fine! Keep your secrets then," George said, throwing his arms in the hair.

At that moment, Ms Weasley called for them from downstairs.

Betelgeuse walked between the twins down the multiple steps of crooked stairs in silence, musing about the use Sirius would make of the Dungbomb.

"Hey, blokes?" Fred called asked as they reached the final landing.

"Do you realise I am a female, Fred?" Betelgeuse asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, I realise just fine," Fred replied with an unexpected suggestive tone. He even wiggled his eyebrows as Betelgeuse laughed.

"Oh, Merlin's balls!" George groaned, "What did you want to say?"

"I just had a thought," Fred continued, "If I punch myself hard in the face and it hurts, am I weak or strong?"

Betelgeuse stepped into the living room where Ms and Mr Weasley were waiting for them as George replied to his twin blankly, "You're an idiot, that's what you are."