15.2

009

009

Every single time we return to our parents’ home for New Year, the entire family would engage in a common recreational activity – mocking and laughing at me for failing to understand how to play Mahjong. In their eyes, my inability to play Mahjong is highly embarrassing and shameful.

Every New Year, the Mahjong table would be set up the moment the family has finished eating their meals, and four people would flock to the table and seat themselves down. Conversely, I’d be left to sit at the sofa by myself, and would have to shoulder the responsibility of entertaining the children. That was how my friendship with Little Nephew was built – when all the adults were busy playing Mahjong, I was the only one who remained by his side.

Little Nephew asked me, “Why don’t you play Mahjong with them?”

I replied, “It’s because I want to accompany you. Otherwise, you’d be extremely bored.”

A certain fellow who was sitting beside me mercilessly exposed me, “It’s because she’s stupid.”

Me: “…… I just can’t be bothered to learn.”

A certain fellow : “If you’re not stupid, your learning ability must be extremely poor.”

Me: “……”

Jungkook’s Mother : “Don’t bother about him. Come and play after we finish this round.”

A certain fellow protested instantly, “No way. If she joins us, there’s no way I’d be able to recoup her losses regardless of how many games I win.”

Me: “……”

010

We attended Jonathan Lee’s concert together. The concert was titled Since We’re Unable to Stop Our Youth From Fading Away. Ah, what a sorrowful title.

At the concert, Old Jonathan cracked a couple of jokes, “Everyone, sing along with me. Although…… the person whom you first heard this song with is no longer the same person who’s currently at your side.” The entire audience erupted into laughter.

On the way home, I asked Jungkook which of Mr Lee’s songs did he like best. After giving it some thought, he replied, “I Really Do Love You. When I was in England studying, I never mustered enough courage to listen to this song.”

Instantly, my imagination went into overdrive. I pictured a young Jungkook all alone in a foreign land, and when it was deep in the night, he would turn on the music and the song lyrics would flow out.