Prologue

Soft music bounced off the walls of the music room echoing out into the hallway. It danced along the tile flooring and old chipped wallpaper until finally it reached the gym and a certain girl playing basketball. She wandered down the hallway tossing the basketball back and forth between each hand until she reached the music room door that was just slightly open giving her a view of a blonde girl sitting at the piano, her fingers dancing along the keys creating a beautiful sound. Then the music abruptly stopped and a bang of the keys could be heard along with a frustrated groan.

"Whoa there Beethoven. No need to beat the piano up." Ana turned to Toni with a slight glare, a ghost of a smile grazing her lips. "Shut it Toni. Don't you have practice?" "Just ended sunshine, I need a ride home." Toni gave her a cheese smile earning a playful eyeroll from Ana as she turned back to the piano. "Just give me a couple minutes. Okay? Then I'll give you a ride." Ana laughed turning back to the beginning of the music before continuing. "Scooch over." Ana stopped and turned to Toni before moving over on the bench allowing her to sit down. "What are you playing?" Toni leaned forward to look at the music, squinting to read the small print.

"Shh." Toni then shut up raising her eyebrows, she then leaned her head on Ana's shoulder closing her eyes as she began to play the soft tune. They sat like that for a few minutes until the song ended and Toni opened her eyes sitting up and looking at Ana. "That was great." "Yeah, but not Juilliard great. This isn't the right song." Ana shook her head in disgust before picking up the music book and closing it. "Hey I liked it." "You like all the songs I play T, the judges aren't like you. They're going to be harsh and impossible and I need to be ready. I'm thinking of the Hungarian Rhapsody. It's difficult, and I think it will get me pretty far on the radar." Toni nodded watching Ana stand up and grab her backpack swinging it onto her shoulder.

"So, you're leaving me for some New York rich kids?" Ana looked at her with another playful smile putting her hand out for Toni to grab. "It's not like that T, that's only if I make it-" "You will. If you heard what I hear...you'd think the same." Ana nodded but still looked unconvinced. "Alright, when I make it, I will call you everyday and visit as much as possible. I'm not gonna leave you hanging, that's not what friends do." Toni nearly winced at the word, friends, she hated that word. She then finally took Ana's hand letting her pull her up from the bench.

"Sure whatever you say Beethoven. I'm sure your ass will ditch me one day for those rich Juilliard kids that also have a weird obsession with their instruments." Ana giggled feeling Toni's arms wrap around her shoulders as they walked out of the music room. "In your dreams Toni, you're never getting rid of me or my piano." Toni smirked to hide the blush creeping on her cheeks when she felt Ana's arm go around her waist for support. "Great, my worst nightmare."