9. Heart on a chain

Rhea watched him walk towards her

Rhea watched him walk towards her. She thought that he was perfect in every way. She still couldn't believe that he actually liked her. Her? She was nothing compared to the popular girls. She didn't know the first thing about being popular and it was something she never fancied herself being. She liked who she was. However, she didn't know if other people would like her as well. She was used to hiding. She hid behind her book, behind her hair and behind other people. She never wanted to be the center of attention anywhere. In fact, she never wanted a birthday party as a kid because of the attention it would bring her.

But now, she was in the spotlight. Adam's gaze was focused on her as he came closer. It was a moment frozen in time. Almost as if he was walking towards her in slow motion. Time slowed down and her heart raced as he came even closer.

"Hi," he greeted her with a smile.

Her heart did flips and forgot it's natural rhythm as she looked up into his radiant smile. The sun was positioned right behind his head and it gave him a golden aura. She felt her cheeks redden and hoped that he couldn't tell how nervous she was.

"Hey," she finally said.

"See ya," Liza said and went off somewhere inside the library.

Liza's voice broke the spell that Adam had cast. Rhea looked around and noticed that they were alone in the courtyard of the library. Where did everyone disappear to? She looked at her toes and wondered how she was going to be able to talk to him. Thankfully, he appeared to be more in control.

"How was school?" he asked.

"It was ok. You?"

"Good," he replied.

After a moment he added, "I was thinking of you all day."

"Really?"

"Of course, I couldn't wait to see you."

"Me too," she admitted.

For some reason she was finding it hard to make eye contact. It was moments like these where she wished she was one of those brave heroines she read about in books. They always seemed to know what to do in awkward situations. They had all the answers. She knew nothing. He was just a normal person, she reminded herself. Talking to him shouldn't be this hard.

At that moment, she felt cold fingers touch her lightly under her chin. He pushed upwards slightly, causing her eyes to meet his. She had no choice but to look. His coffee colored eyes locked on hers. She felt like she was looking into the depths of his soul.

"You don't need to be shy," he said.

She blushed and couldn't help lowering her gaze.

"It's that obvious?" She responded.

He laughed lightly.

"Maybe you should look up again," he said with confidence.

She did and saw that there was something swaying in his hand. He was holding it above her head and she didn't quiet know what it was.

"This is for you."

It was a silver necklace with a cute little heart shaped pendant. She didn't know what to say. She was surprised. She certainly didn't expect him to get her anything. She didn't know why he would.

"Thank you," she managed to say.

She sounded as shocked as she felt.

"Here, turn around," he instructed her.

She did and he moved to behind her. He brushed her braid to the side. She felt and saw his arms come around to the front, holding the two ends of the necklace. Carefully he placed it on her neck and hooked the clasp in the back. She tingled wherever his fingers brushed her bare skin.

She reached a hand up to the pendant to get a better look at it. It was simple, yet beautiful. It was her first gift from a boy. She loved it. It felt like the most valuable thing she'd ever received.

"What's this for?" She asked.

"For agreeing to be my girlfriend."

"You didn't have to," she told him softly.

"I wanted to," he replied with a  smile and a wink.

"I love it, thanks again."

"Just promise me that you'll wear it."

"Of course, always."

She never wanted to take it off, but she wasn't going to tell him that. How could she take it off when he himself had placed it there? It wouldn't be the same if he wasn't the one putting it on her neck.

Liza suddenly returned out of no where. She acted like she didn't know what just transpired, but Rhea knew her too well. She was sure Liza knew all about the necklace even before it happened. They stood outside the library and chatted for a few minutes about school and other things. Rhea then realized that it was getting late and she should get home before her mom started to wonder where she was.

"It's almost four thirty," she declared.

"Yeah," Liza said, "We should get home."

"True," Adam agreed.

Since they were all in agreement, Rhea turned to Adam to say goodbye. She was starting to feel like herself again. The nervousness around him was slowly going away.

"Call you later?" he asked.

"Sure."

"Thanks for coming." He smiled his brilliant smile at her.

"I'm glad I did." She blushed a little as she said this.

They all left the library. Before Adam went off in a separate direction, Rhea detected some hesitation on his part. She could see that he didn't want to go. She wished she could have stayed longer too. With a parting smile, he turned around and walked down a different street.

Liza and Rhea lived in the same vicinity so they continued to walk together.

"So," Liza started, "do you like him?"

Rhea halted her answer. She didn't want to blurt out the "yes" that was on the tip of her tongue. Somehow she was always guarded when she needed to talk about her feelings. It wasn't that she was a private person. Rhea just never had to talk about her feelings before and she didn't even know how to begin. But this was Liza, her brain said. She owed it to her best friend to be honest.

"Yes," she told her in a tiny voice.

"I knew it!" Liza exclaimed.

"You knew it? What do you mean?"

"Well," Liza started, "I sort of knew you two would be good together."

"Yes, but how did you know?" Rhea questioned.

"I am not sure how exactly. It's just something that I saw from being friends with you both."

"Okay, well I'm glad I met him," Rhea admitted with a shy smiled.

"He's been so happy these past few days, and it's all because of you," Liza said firmly.

Rhea was so glad to hear this. A wide smile broke out and she felt her heart swell with delight at this simple fact.

Hello Everyone,

How did you like this chapter, "heart on a chain." Please vote, comment and share. Thank you again for your support.

XOXO- R.M