【 PROLOGUE 】

Start from the beginning

"Miss Naberrie," the droid called, peeking its head in. "You are needed in the Council Chambers straight away."

My heart skipped a beat. Maybe this droid was more perceptive than I thought. The Council couldn't know that I'd kept the letter, could they? The Jedi Council knew of my inner dilemma over the blockade situation, but I'd kept my thoughts about Padmé's letter closely guarded whenever I was around them. The only way they'd know about the letter was if they'd gone through my room. But that was a huge violation of privacy, and I was sure my master, and the Council itself, trusted me enough to give at least me some privacy.

No, I told myself finally. It can't be that. I turned to the droid, trying not to let my inner panic show on my face. "Do you know what I'm being summoned for?" I queried. I didn't have high hopes that the droid would know, but there was always a chance.

"No, Miss Naberrie, I'm sorry," the droid relayed. "I'm afraid I know nothing of the circumstances. But your master instructed me to summon you as soon as possible. I'd advise you to not keep them waiting."

"Them?" Well, whatever this was, I was really in for it. Standing up, I grabbed my lightsaber and attached it to my belt before following the droid into the hallway.

The droid led me down the familiar path to the council chambers, though it wasn't like I couldn't find my way there without its help. I'd spent my whole life growing up in these halls, having lived here on Coruscant ever since I'd pledged my life to the Jedi Order thirteen years ago. My parents and sister were still back home on Naboo, so I was here mostly alone with no one but a couple of friends and the Master Jedi to keep me company. It's less a lonely life than it seems, and I quite liked the feeling of independence. When I was younger, I'd often used to get into fights with my father because of my yearn for independence and adventure, so when I'd gotten the chance to move away, I'd taken it once, and hadn't looked back. In truth, the only person I missed from back home was Padmé, and even then, we didn't spend enough time together for me to know her well enough to miss her a lot.

Besides, it was part of the duty of a Jedi to not form any attachments with anything. Those attachments would lead to selfishness, jealousy, anger and hate... and all of those emotions led down the path to the Dark Side.

And if there was one thing I prided myself on, it was keeping myself aloof.

The droid left me at the door to the council chambers, leaving me to go in alone. I waited anxiously for a couple moments, preparing myself. Then I reminded myself I was being ridiculous. There was no way the council knew I'd kept the letter, and there was no reason to be worried. If I could jump headfirst out of a speeder to save a young girl from falling off a cliff on a mission with the Jedi Order, why couldn't I face a bunch of old Jedi Masters?

I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. I knew if I stood out here much longer, the Jedi inside would sense my presence out here and get suspicious. So I took a deep breath, braced myself, and pushed the doors open.

Four people were waiting inside, less than I'd originally expected, which made me breathe a quick sigh of relief. If the entire council wasn't here, that meant I probably wasn't here about the letter.

I forced myself to stop thinking about it and bowed to the four Jedi in the room. I only knew two of them--one was Master Yoda, the Grand Master of the Jedi Council and one of the most powerful Jedi I knew. The other was my own master, Kera Hollbar. Her curly brown hair, intelligent brown eyes, and professional, guarded expression were all too familiar, even if she wasn't facing me. The two of them were deep in discussion with the two other Jedi there who I didn't know. One I recognized, but just barely. With his long brown hair and crooked nose, I felt like I recognized him from somewhere, but couldn't quite place where. The other man standing next to him was much younger, but obviously older than me by at least a couple of years. He had the traditional Padawan braid at the back of his head, meaning he wasn't a full Jedi Knight yet, just an apprentice, like me. But judging based on his age, I could tell the time had about come for him to take the Trials, so it was only a matter of time before he was a full Knight.

I cleared my throat and bowed again as everyone turned toward me, finally taking note of my presence.

"Ah, Padawan Naberrie," Yoda said, the first one to speak. "For coming, thank you."

I nodded in response. "I was told you wanted to speak with me?"

"Yes," Kera said, taking the lead. She took a couple steps in my direction, looking at me meaningfully. "I don't assume you know Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn or his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi."

I shook my head. "Nice to meet you two. I am-"

"Emeré Naberrie," Qui-Gon cut over me, smiling politely. He walked over as well, standing right next to my master. "Yes, I have heard all about you."

I swallowed. Despite his friendliness, something about him intimidated me... he seemed to radiate power. "Good things, I hope."

Qui-Gon wisely chose not to answer that. "Master Yoda has told me you've been advocating for a mission to Naboo to check out the blockade," he went on.

"Yes, Master," I said, trying not to let my simultaneous terror and excitement show. This could either be very good... or very bad.

"Well, Padawan Naberrie, granted, your wish has been," Yoda spoke up. "Sending Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to Naboo, the Council is."

My heart raced. "That's amazing!" I cried, then realized my mistake. I bowed quickly. "I mean, thank you, Masters. You won't regret placing your trust in me." I turned to Qui-Gon. "While you are there, if you would just-"

Qui-Gon held up a hand, silencing me. "That's just the thing, young Padawan," he said. "Master Yoda has requested you come on this diplomatic mission. You will be coming to Naboo with us, if you are up for it."

My breath got caught in my throat, and I turned to Kera and Yoda, my eyes wide. "With all due respect," I began, "is that wise? My family is there. I don't want any attachment I have to them getting in the way of your mission."

Kera looked at me seriously. "I believe you are ready, Emeré. I myself requested to Master Yoda that you go on this mission."

I looked at my master in awe. Never before had she placed so much trust and confidence in me. "Thank you, Master." I bowed deeply. "This means a lot to me. I promise I won't let you down, any of you." I looked at Master Yoda especially as I said that. He nodded slightly.

I held myself significantly straighter after that. The Jedi Order was putting a lot of faith in me going on this mission, and I had to prove that I wouldn't let them down. I had to put my attachment in the past... or I'd show the Council--and myself--that I'd never become a Jedi.

And that was not an option.