It was said with a smile, but Kakashi could detect an undertone of threat in his voice. He was still pissed, and rightfully so. His first glimpse of his son six years in the future and he's watching the boy get kicked in the stomach and called a demon.

If not for his sensei's god-like patience, Kakashi was sure the man would've run off the find the offender and wrung them by their throat. Kakashi felt his heart squeeze as he thought about having to tell his sensei what had been going on with Naruto, the searing heat of shame burning a hole in his chest. He could feel Minato's gaze focused on his face, unwavering but not accusing.

Minato knew just by looking at Kakashi that he'd done what he could. Hiruzen's tension when Minato requested to go find Naruto told him that the elders of the village had played a large part in whatever had been going on. He didn't know how the abuse had started, just that it wasn't okay by any means. His head spun imagining his son in any sort of pain.

Naruto (obviously) wasn't the same infant Minato remembered, but the connection he felt to the boy remained, and the love was as strong as ever. The all-encompassing feeling of being willing to do anything to ensure one person's happiness filled him with a warm glow.

"I haven't been allowed to meet him." Kakashi admitted. Minato's face creased with a frown. Kakashi hadn't been allowed to talk to Naruto? "Not many know he's your son. The other nations would send assassins in droves if they found out. Especially if they knew of his status as a Jinchuriki. The Third forbid anyone from speaking of either. Anyone who knew you has been banned from contact with him. Being his ANBU guard has been my only way to get close to him, sensei."

Minato sucks in a sharp breath of air that makes Kakashi flinch mid-jump. He can't bring himself to look at the man. He's afraid of what he'll see. He fears he'll turn, and the dream will end, and suddenly Minato will be looming over him, asking him why he never acted and helped Naruto.

It wouldn't be the first time he's had a nightmare like that. Failing Minato-sensei is something he had always feared, and he felt like he truly had when it came to Naruto. What he was doing wasn't enough. He could've found a way to go behind Lord Third's back, but he hadn't, and--

"Thank you, Kakashi." Minato's voice drew his attention again. Minato smiled at his student, radiating reassurance. "Thank you for protecting him until now. You did all you could, and that's more than I ever could've asked for."

Kakashi was forced to look away and wipe at his eyes again. Minato laughed a little, giving the Hatake a hearty pat on the back. He was glad Kakashi had been here.

Sure, Minato was scared of what he was going to find— terrified, really— and he wasn't too happy with the Sandaime, but at least Kakashi had tried. It was more than Minato could say for anyone else so far.

The abuse against Naruto was obviously severe, and Hiruzen had just let it happened? Minato didn't care about the circumstance. No child should be treated like that by anyone. Especially not Naruto, who had been forced to give up so much without even knowing or having a choice. Minato still felt laden with guilt knowing what he had sealed in his son. If there were any other option, he would've taken it. 

Kakashi told Minato a little about Naruto. He was a prankster who took after Kushina and could eat his weight in ramen. He was unbelievably slippery, sometimes even evading Kakashi on his best days. He was a natural chakra sensor just like Minato, able to pick up on and differentiate people's unique signatures.

It wasn't a skill that was honed, but Kakashi left himself purposely open for the boy to feel. At least that way he knew he wasn't alone. It was far from the best, but still better than nothing.