―xxii. the hurting and the healing

Start from the beginning

She hoped she'd make Silena proud.

"It represents my sexuality—bisexuality," Naomi said. "It means I don't just like one gender. It's how I like Percy and Annabeth."

"So... all bisexuals date more than one person?" Nico asked, still looking confused.

"No," Naomi said. She was glad Silena had given her an additional lesson in non-monogamous relationships over the summer. "I'm polyamorous—that's how I like more than one person."

"Okay," Nico said slowly. "So... you like boys and girls?"

Naomi chewed on her lip. "That's how some people view bisexuality. For me, it's just a label that means I like more than one gender. I don't think gender would really affect how I feel about someone."

Nico nodded slowly, seeming to catch on.

"I'll give you a crash-course," she offered, and continued when he nodded. "I'm bisexual, but there are other sexualities—most commonly, heterosexual, homosexual, and asexual. Heterosexuality is liking the opposite gender, homosexuality is liking the same gender, and asexuality is kind of an umbrella term for not really feeling attraction to anyone."

Nico sat back down on her bed, sitting crisscross applesauce. "How did you... know?"

"How did I know I wasn't straight?" Naomi asked. At Nico's confused look, she added, "Straight's another term for heterosexual. Gay is another term for homosexuals—or lesbian, if you're a girl who likes girls."

"Okay," Nico said. "How did you know you weren't straight?"

Naomi shrugged, joining him on her bed. "I guess I always knew," she said. "I had crushes on boys and girls when I was little. I learned to hide the girl crushes, though—Catholic nuns don't appreciate little girls playing house without play-husbands. But I've always felt that way."

"But isn't that... wrong?" Nico asked, looking strangely small. He hugged his bent legs to his chest. "For girls to like girls, and... boys to like boys?"

"No," Naomi said. "You don't choose who you love, Nico. It's not something you should ever be ashamed of. Anyone who tries to say otherwise—they're the one that's wrong."

Nico stared at the floor for so long, Naomi thought he wouldn't say anything else. Then, so quietly she almost missed it, he said, "I do—like boys."

Naomi nudged him gently in the arm. "Anyone in particular?"

Nico's face flushed red. "No. Yes."

Naomi fought a chuckle. "Are you going to tell me who?"

"No," Nico said, shaking his head firmly. "Definitely not."

This time, Naomi did laugh a little. "Okay," she said, backing off. She smiled softly. "Thanks for trusting me, Nico."

Nico shrugged. "You're my sister," he mumbled. "Of course I trust you."

Naomi's small smile split into a grin. She knew what it meant for Nico to say that, and it meant the world for Naomi to hear.

She still wasn't sure if he would stick around at camp, but she was comforted to know he would always have a place there, and a sister whenever he needed. That would never change—not if she could help it.

A week after the burial shrouds were burned, Naomi knocked on the half-open door of Cabin Ten. She'd seen Mitchell, Lacy, and the rest of their siblings at the arts and crafts center, but Drew had been absent. Drew was absent a lot, now. Naomi knew she needed space, but she also wanted to make sure her friend was okay. After losing Silena and Ethan...