―xvii. the hearth still fights

Start from the beginning

"Okay, girls," Naomi said softly. "I know you're tired, but I have one more favor to ask. Skia, you'll make sure Mrs. O'Leary's okay?"

Skia barked a clear affirmative.

Naomi nodded, and leaned down to whisper her instructions.

After the hellhounds shadow-traveled away, Naomi rejoined Percy and Annabeth in the lobby. On the way to the elevator, they spotted Grover kneeling over a wounded satyr.

"Leneus!" Percy said.

The old satyr looked terrible. His lips were blue. There was a broken spear in his belly, and his furry goat legs were twisted at a painful angle.

He tried to focus on them, but Naomi didn't think he saw them.

"Grover?" he murmured.

"I'm here, Leneus." Grover was blinking back tears, despite all the horrible things Leneus had said about him.

"Did... did we win?"

"Um.... yes," Grover lied. "Thanks to you, Leneus. We drove the enemy away."

"Told you," the old satyr mumbled. "True leader. True..."

He closed his eyes for the last time.

Grover gulped. He put his hand on Leneus's forehead and spoke an ancient blessing. The old satyr's body melted, until all that was left was a tiny sapling m a pile of fresh soil.

"A laurel," Grover said in awe. "Oh, that lucky old goat."

He gathered up the sapling in his hands. "I... I should plant him. In Olympus, in the gardens."

"We're going that way," Percy said. "Come on."

Easy-listening music played as the elevator rose. Naomi thought about the first time she'd visited Mount Olympus, back when she was thirteen. It had just been her and Percy then, but now, Annabeth and Grover were with them, too. She was glad. She had a feeling it might be their last adventure together.

"Percy," Annabeth said quietly. "You were right about Luke." It was the first time she'd spoken since Silena's death. She kept her eyes fixed on the elevator floors as they blinked into the magical numbers: 400, 450, 500.

"Annabeth," Percy said. "I'm sorry—"

"You tried to tell me." Her voice was shaky. "Luke is no good. I didn't believe you until... until I heard how he'd used Silena. Now I know. I hope you're happy."

"That doesn't make me happy."

She put her head against the elevator wall and wouldn't look at any of them.

Grover cradled his laurel sapling in his hands. "Well... sure is good to be together again. Arguing. Almost dying. Abject terror. Oh, look. It's our floor."

The doors dinged and they stepped onto the aerial walkway.

Depressing was the only way to describe the city. No fires lit the braziers. The windows were dark. The streets were deserted, the doors barred. The only movement was in the parks, which had been set up as field hospitals. Will Solace and the other Apollo campers scrambled around, caring for the wounded. Naiads and dryads tried to help, using nature magic songs to heal burns and poison. Naomi spotted Lilium running around, helping where she could.

The nymph caught her eye, and sent Naomi a weary smile.

Naomi helped Grover plant the laurel sapling as Annabeth and Percy checked on the wounded. Then, they continued toward the palace.