49: so many firsts

Start from the beginning

"You really didn't have to," Hyerin sighed, "I feel bad for not bringing anything."

"Relax, I know you aren't big on cooking anyways. It's just fortunate that I am," I wiggled my eyebrows at her, making her laugh instantly. I loved joking around with her like this and it was something I missed when she was away. She listened to whatever I had to say with such attention and retain it all like her brain was a super computer. I found it very attractive. 

"Alright, big man. I'll have to be the judge of that when we start to chow down,"

"I assure you, my food is good enough to make you fall for me," I smirked playfully, intertwining my free hand with hers. 

"And I can assure you, Mr Park, that I already have," she hummed. 

***

We brought ourselves to somewhere that I hadn't visited in a long time. After all the events that happened this year, I struggled to come back to this place. I felt as though I couldn't bring any negativity here to our field. If I did then I would always look back to those moments and remember it. I only wanted good memories to be held here. Memories of the guys, Hyerin and just me in general. It was my happy place. 

"Didn't you say way back that you and the guys would come here everyday?" Hyerin said as she ran into the open space. She did a twirl and embraced the fresh summer air. I chuckled to myself, admiring the fact that she remembered something I told her three months ago. 

"That's right," 

"Then how come they aren't here today?" 

"I told them to stay clear of the field, just for today. I wanted to spent some time alone with you," 

"I see..." Hyerin blushed at the mention of being alone together. Clearly things were different since we established a relationship at graduation. I was more nervous around her and struggled to think of things to say at times. She was similar in that she'd stumble over her words and try to introduce herself to me like I didn't already know her. 

It was a work in progress, but I loved going through that stage with her. It made everything seem so real. 

I began to lay out the picnic blanket and food. I had packed chocolate covered strawberries, grapes, mini sandwiches, cupcakes and some soju. Hyerin marvelled at the food, whilst not a lot it was mostly homemade. 

"Okay, now I feel bad for not bringing anything. It must have taken you so long to prepare all of this!" 

"You're worth it," I grinned at her, "Come, sit down." 

I patted to the spot next to me and she eagerly joined me. She sat so close to me: her shoulder resting against my chest. Her head leant into me ever so slightly and her hand rested on my knee. I loved how touchy she was. I always knew she was fearless, but she was never shy to show physical affection. 

"What should I try first?" Hyerin scanned over the food like a little kid at the sweet shop. 

"I think... this!" Hyerin held up the bottle of soju. 

"Are you serious?" I raised a brow, "I make you all this food and you want to drink first?" 

"Just one shot to start with. Pleaseeee," she cutely begged and I couldn't even say no before she was pouring us two. She handed me mine with a mischievous look that I just laughed at. 

"Hey, don't judge, Mr Park. You're the one who brought it,"

"Okay, okay. Let's just drink already," 

"Here's to us!" we clinked glasses and took the shot. The sharp liquid burned my throat slightly. Hyerin however was a natural and had downed the glass like it was mineral water. My eyes bulged as I was very impressed. She explained that she went to a few business parties when she worked for her father and had learnt how to drink properly. 

"You'll learn," she teased, patting my head like a puppy. 

"Whatever. Have some food, please," I took a plate and piled it with all the stuff I wanted her to try. Like I predicted, she loved it all. We sat, indulging ourselves with food, talking and laughing and catching up on things. Sometimes the conversation was more serious as she recounted her time in Philippines. Likewise, I told her all about that hell of a trial, which I tried to turn into a laugh. 

"We've both had a rough year, haven't we?" I said, laying at my back. The clouds passed by slowly and I trailed them with my eyes. They moved slowly, allowing me to admire their random shapes. 

"We have," Hyerin replied. 

Suddenly, her face came into view. Hyerin had turned over from where she lay next to me. She rested her chin in her hands and looked over me. I turned my head slightly so that I could look at her properly. Once again, I met her beautiful eyes. They were the same eyes I fell in love with back then. I knew I would never get tired of looking into them and wondering what stories she had to hold. 

"I'm just glad I finally have you," she said sweetly, "I love you, Jay."

"I love you too," 

And it was like her eyes spoke to mine. They whispered an agreement of some sort. A connection was formed between us and my body instantly knew how to respond. I held her face lightly in my palm. My thumb stroked her cheek and I took in every smallest feature of her face. Eun Hyerin was an angel that I had the pleasure to hold. Sitting up, I brought my face near to hers. It felt so familiar that my heart danced in my chest. I could almost picture us standing on that stage again, cameras flashing at us everywhere and everyone anticipating our every move.

This time, no one was here to judge us. No one needed to watch and stare. It was just me and her, finally. There was nothing in our way. I could finish the moment that started our entire journey. She closed her eyes and in a heartbeat I followed suit. I let the small space between our lips linger for a short second before closing it. My lips on hers. Her soft lips rested against mine in a sweet, gentle kiss. 

Hyerin pulled away and giggled out of the blue. 

"Why is that funny?" I looked away in embarrassment. Hyerin took my sadness too seriously, and pulled my face back to look at her. 

"It's just found it cute," 

"Is that a nice way of telling me I'm a bad kisser?" I pretended to feel hurt with a hand on my chest.

"No, of course not!" Hyerin tried to console me by giving me a tight hug, "You're a good kisser, I promise!

"Even if it was my first?"

"Especially because it was your first," 

The End.