Chapter 29: Resolve and Reassurance

Start from the beginning

"You seem so close to sister, Subaru." Rem spoke from the carriage, peeking over at the two. Out of the two loops, Rem hadn't said anything while they were preparing the carriage, so this was a bit strange. Subaru smiled playfully, looking over to Rem. "I know! I think she likes me." Subaru decided not to tell Rem about her sister's confession, but he did have a smirk on his face so it was likely clear to Rem he was teasing her.

Rem looked down, with a slight look of sorrow on her face. "I see... I wish I could get that close to Subaru." Something very unexpected came out of Rem's mouth, leaving both Subaru and Ram surprised. It felt a bit odd for there to be two maids who loved him in the same place. A massive red blush suddenly formed on Subaru's face as he heard those words.

Subaru looked up at Ram, whose face was not visible due to her being on his lap, however he could make out that she had a surprised expression on her face as well. "What do I do now... Both of the twins like me..." Subaru knew he could only be with one of them, and his decision on loving one of them had been made long ago. "Barusu, when will we get going already? My legs are going numb sitting on your weak body." Ram spoke.

Otto, hearing the entire situation, spoke firmly. "My apologies. I was a bit held up by something, we can go now Mister Natsuki and Miss Ram." Subaru quickly whipped to his left, and flashed a smile at Otto. "Looks like you've finally found the one for you Otto!" Silence fell upon the group of people present, with everyone having blank expressions.

Suddenly, Otto's blank expression turned into a bright red blush as he looked away, hoping to hide his embarrassment. Subaru also noticed Frederica blush, having her hands over her mouth with surprise. With there being no time to waste, he whipped the land dragon. It began to move and dash down the path Subaru had been down twice.

The land dragon made its way through the forest at a dashing speed, as Subaru prayed that Reinhard would be able to find a sealing stone in order to stop Sirius. He also remembered Emilia's burnt face from the previous loop. Wanting to prevent her death, Subaru quickly turned to Emilia. "Mili, can you stay behind when we find Wrath?"

Emilia tilted her head and slightly pouted. "Huh?! Why?" Subaru looked away. "I.. don't think that Wrath will like you." Subaru could not get the image out of his head, he was chilled down to his core every time he remembered the details of her mutilated face.

"I see. I guess I shouldn't approach them then." Subaru nodded at the innocent tone in her face, without responding verbally. Suddenly, Subaru had a thought run through his mind. "H-hold on... What did Puck mean by... 'in accordance with our contract'?" Subaru was confused, thinking about the spirit's words. Suddenly, he gasped lightly, remembering an event that happened in a previous loop.

He remembered waking up in the mansion, with the entirety of it being frozen, and seeing a massive lion-like figure towering the mansion from behind. "W-wait, was that Puck?! And is Emillia's death in that loop the cause of all of that?!"

Subaru was shocked at how much Puck cared for Emilia. How could you care that much for someone that you're willing to go as far as killing your own allies instead of seeking revenge on those responsible for the crime? This also left the thought of what could have happened after Subaru's deaths in which Emilia has perished. Pristella could have been completely frozen considering the last loop of events.

Subaru tightened his grip on Ram, as she held his hand. Subaru felt warm with Ram's body heat, considering it was a chilly day. "Quit hugging me, stupid Barusu." Ram teased Subaru, with a small hidden smile on her face. This only caused Subaru to hold her tighter, which Ram gave a scoff to in return.

"Mister Natsuki, we're almost there!"

Otto told Subaru those words, but he already knew they were close after two times of doing this. Subaru sighed, growing tired of dying to these Sin Archbishops. Yet again, he was not aware if there were more after Lust and Wrath. Subaru could only question himself. Was it worth it? Subaru contemplated that in his mind silently. It definitely gave Emilia a massive jump in the royal selection, but is that compensation for all his suffering? That, he didn't know.

What he did know, however, was the fact that after these events, everyone around him would be safe. No one would be threatening to Emilia, him, or anyone and everyone at that. This goal Subaru strived for was the one that motivated him to keep pushing forward so he could live in peace. Either ways, it's better safe than sorry.

Subaru looked forward, putting his hand over his eyes to prevent the sunlight from blinding him. They were on the bridge, approaching the entrance of Priestella. Subaru then turned back to Reinhard. "Reinhard! I have an idea!" Reinhard immediately set his focus on Subaru's words. "Yes, Subaru?"

"Once we get close to Priestella, you walk there, and we stay behind. You will capture Sirius and get the sealing stuff, alright?" Reinhard nodded. "I hope to live up to your expectations." Subaru knew that he could not by any means get under the influence of Wrath, or else it would have caused him to die again. He was aware Reinhard had the strength to capture Sirius easily, so he left all of his hope to him once again.

Subaru noticed they were only a couple of hundred feet away from reaching the gates. "Otto! Stop the carriage!" Otto abruptly brought his ground dragon to a halt as Reinhard jumped out of the carriage with the momentum of the stop. He traveled through the air, and landed on his feet. He then dashed toward the gap in between the carriage and the entrance. Subaru looked everywhere and couldn't see Sirius. With this, Subaru jumped out of the carriage and decided to relax for a moment.

Reinhard was stopped in his tracks, as an all familiar figure landed in his path. "Who are you?" Reinhard did not hesitate to ask, with a firm tone in his voice. "I am the Witch Cult's Sin Archbishop of Wrath, I am called Sirius Romanee-Conti." Sirius smiled from ear to ear, recognizing the person in front of her as the Sword Saint, Reinhard van Astrea. The red-haired figure stood in silence as he was lost for words, having a stern expression on his face.

To be continued