Trip to Trouble ~II

Start from the beginning

Sometimes, Wei Wuxian found some things really unbelievable. Today's event at the conference had been just one of those unbelievable things.
It was both laughable and pitiful really and Wei Wuxian had the urge to cackle and cry at once, or at least snort. Especially after the display of stupidity by the two minor sect heirs. So, to save himself from revealing his identity, he sneaked out along with Lan Wangji.
He assumed that with the Chief Cultivator out, the conference would end soon anyways.
Now, pacing in his room he worried his head as to how he was going to go on about his next step. He had refused one option from Nie Huaisang, and so the delay. After his refusal to go on with the first option when there was obviously a second one, it had taken Huaisang a bit more thinking but he had figured out a plan.
So, here he was thinking of ways to know more about the destination of the night hunt of the Chief Cultivator with his Lan ducklings along with some of the juniors who followed them in Yi City and a few stuffed up sect disciples.
It wouldn't be a problem as far as Wei Wuxian was concerned, also the final list of disciples who would go on the night hunt had not been announced, yet. Maybe, if no drama occurred in the evening discussion then Lan Wangji would announce the names.

Evening came with rustling breeze and soft melodies resonating from the WǎnXiānnǚ garden. The music was soft, as if shy of escaping the boundaries of the garden but still got carried away a bit nearby by the winds like mischievous friends persuading a strict child to loosen up, luring the attendants passing by towards the garden.
Inside the garden, under the Mongolia Blossom tree, two figures sat while a third person stood; the three of them playing, so in sync with each other that they seem to be in a state of meditation. A figure with breathtaking features and white robes sat at the bottom of the tree with a half-moon curve swan headpiece while another one, also in white but dressed in disciple robes, sat  beside the first one; both of them had their qins in lap. The third, the eldest stood in graphite and indigo robes with a xiao. Their fingers moved with age old grace, plucking and blowing music which made even the nature around them dance. The leaves of the trees swayed with the gentle breeze while the branches looked as if waving with the flow of melody. The sky had a rosy pink blush on her like a shy maiden who had just seen her partner without a chaperone and the air was filled with the aroma of flowers. The sun would set soon though right now seemed to be lazing behind his blanket of clouds with a red face as if resting after a full day running from east to west.
Non of the musicians noticed that there was a crowd outside the garden, listening to their music like children hiding after mischief. One of the audience though, had slipped inside and was leaning with his back against a tree which blocked his view of the musical trio. Of course, this listener could not afford to be caught staring and could only hide behind a tree to listen to the beautiful melody.
In a way, the evening before the discussion surely was the best part of that day for all the attendants if the Koi Tower and a particular silver eyed man.

The evening discussion started with silence. This was going to be the last discussion, after which, the sect leaders and the Chief Cultivator would retire for the night so that they could travel early in the morning to their respective destinations. The sect leaders and visiting disciples minus the ones who would be selected for the night hunt, would depart for their sects while the Chief Cultivator and the selected disciples would depart for Yunmeng wih Jiang Wanyin and other Yunmeng Jiang disciples.
Till now, no one had uttered what Wei Wuxian would call nonsense. All were holding their breath as this was the moment they had been waiting for. After losing the chance to host the Chief Cultivator, every sect leader wanted at least one of their disciples to be the part of the group.
Lan Wangji had brought the list with himself. He opened the list and some sect leaders stupidly tried to lean forward, straining their neck to catch even a glimpse of the list, while Wei Wuxian leaned against a wall with his eyes on LanWangji. He was at the far end of the hall but stood at one of the pillars which gave him the advantage of a full view of Chief Cultivator and almost everyone present in the hall.

But as soon as Lan Wangji ran his eyes through the list, a minuscule frown appeared between his brows. Beside him, Lan Xichen looked at him with a worried gaze. Suzhui glanced at his teacher and then looked around the room.
After a while of staring at the list, Lan Wangji rolled the list back up and said, " The disciples selected for the upcoming night hunt will be announced by me." Now, Jin Ling blinked in confusion. Usually, announcements were made by the announcers who had the practice of speaking loudly. If Hanguang-Jun was going to announce the names then everyone will have to keep quiet to able to listen to him. He internally thought, good for them, at least they have a reason to be quiet.
Turned out, that the lucky disciples included  Lan Suzhui, Lan Jingyi, Ouyang Zichen, Jin Ling, another female disciple from Jin sect, one female disciple from Anping Rong, two disciples from Jiang sect and two from Nie sect.
After the announcement, there was silence and then there was uproar by some of the sect leaders.
Sect leader Yao insisted that his disciples were very capable of night hunting while another sect leader reminded everyone that that it was his disciple who won the cultivation quiz. To this all, Jiang Wanyin reminded them that it is Chief Cultivator's decision. But things did not stop there.The sect heir of Meili had the gall to stomp his feet and stand in front of Lan Wangji.
Everyone stopped while Lan Wangji simply looked impassivly at him. "You—mmmmnnnn???!!!" Beside Suzhui, Jingyi tried to muffle his sniggering behind his sleeve. Left with his lips sealed, Li Taiyang put his hand on his sword but Lan Wangji is quicker. Before, the sword could come out of it's sheath, Bichen was at Taiyang's throat.
With Bichen at his throat, Li Taiyang moved back but did not remove his hand from his sword's sheath. Sect Leader Meili came between them then, " Forgive my son Chief Cultivator. He hit his head a bit too hard." He then went on to bow low and forced his son to do the same.
Bichen returned to her sheath and LanWangji stood up with the other Lan disciples.
"Discussion dismissed."

"Wangji, what happened?" In the room of Lan Wangji,  Lan Xichen sat with his brother at the table.
" The list was changed. " Lan Xichen's eyes widened.
" You mean, someone changed the list prepared by you with theirs ?"
"Mn."
" How can that be possible? Someone has to—" Both brothers looked at each other in shock. It was Lan Xichen who spoke first.
" I thought the suitor couldn't put gifts in your room? "
"Mn. Used Wei Ying's talisman. It stopped resentful beings from entering. The person was identified by the wards of the talisman."
" So...someone else."
"Mn." Lan Wangji nodded.

" Wei gonzi, I thought you said..."
"I know, I know Zewu-Jun. But I only identified one. Also, this was not my part." At this, Wei Wuxian shot a withering look at the third person,who his behind his fan at the two glares.
Lan Xichen was scary with a glare, Nie Huaisang concluded.
" Aiyah, don't look at me like that! I didn't know!"
Wei Wuxian snorted. " Yeah, right Nie Xiong."
" If you don't know and Wei gonzi's talisman didn't ward off the person then..."
" We forgot to include someone."
" At least we now know that there are people helping our target."
" Yes, Huaisang. At the cost of my brother's safety."
" So, any observations apart from finding the obvious Nie Xiong ?"
" Uh..yes. The person who is behind this is not the one who placed the gifts and fought with you Wei Xiong if I am correct. Aaaahhh!!! Hear me out Wei Xiong! He is way big conspirator and strategist than me I suppose."
" So, in a nutshell...?"
" I don't know."
" Nie zhongzhu, I am ready to forgive you for using me to bring da-ge to justice and even ready to consider new brotherhood with you but; if you hurt my brother or if my brother gets hurt because of you then...."
Both Wei Wuxian and Nie Huaisang shuddered. Although Wei Wuxian knew the anger wasn't directed at him, it was the first time he gad heard Lan Xichen speak that way in such a cold tone with a warning lilt to it. While Nie Huaisang just considered if he should buy a bigger fab to hide behind. He nodded aggressively, he wasn't a fool and understood a threat when it came his way.

Wei Wuxian was angry, frustrated, confused and....to sum it all up, not in a pleasant mood. This was a feeling he was used to, especially when it concerned a stupidly beautiful and alluring Lan Wangji.
And the day's event had just added to it.
" Ah..Lan Zhan, Lan Zhan. Looks like you will make my head spin. I need alcohol. Agh...why didn't I use my brain and buy some before. Lan Wangji,  after this whole suitor thing is done, you owe me a lifetime treat of Emperor's Smile." Wei Wuxian pouted and dropped on his bed. He needed to sleep if he wished to travel early in the morning with a sober and straight head.

♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤♤
WǎnXiānnǚ: Night Angel

First published : 24 April,2021
Edited: 25 April, 2021