chapter twenty one

Depuis le début

Harry, thought about the first time he had ridden a broomstick.

"Right," Harry said, trying to recall as exactly as possible the wonderful, soaring sensation of his stomach.

Rose kept thinking, but couldn't recall a happier memory than the ones with Aurora. So she settled on the moment Aurora smiled at her.

"The incantation is this—" Lupin cleared his throat. "Expecto patronum!"

"Expecto Patronum," Rose repeated under her breath, "expecto patronum."

"Concentrating hard on your happy memory?"

"Oh—yeah—" said Rose and Harry, quickly forcing their thoughts back to when Harry first rode a broom, and when Rose first saw Aurora smile.

"Harry, you go first." said Lupin.

"Expecto patrono—no, patronum—sorry—expecto patronum, expecto patronum"

Something whooshed suddenly out of the end of his wand; it looked like a wisp of silvery gas.

"Did you see that?" said Harry excitedly. "Something happened!"

Rose thought it was adorable how excited he got, and stared at him in awe. Lupin noticed. He looked curiously between Rose and Harry, before softly smiling. 'That's how Lily used to look at James.'

"Very good," said Lupin, still smiling. "Right, then—Rose, go ahead."

"Expecto pat—expecto—expecto patronum"

Something softly whooshed out of the tip of her wand. Her face lit of excitedly. "Yes! Something happened!"

Lupin looked over at Harry to see him looking at Rose the same way she was looking at him. Lupin smiled even bigger, knowingly. 'And that's how James looked at Lily.'

"Very good, very good," said Lupin. "Right, then—ready to try it on a Dementor?"

"Yes," said Rose and Harry, gripping their wands tightly, and moving into the middle of the deserted classroom, Rose standing slightly behind Harry, doing as told. Harry tried to keep his mind on flying, but something else kept intruding...Any second now, he might hear his mother again....but he shouldn't think that, or he would hear her again, and he didn't want to...or did he?

"Rose, you can go first this time." Lupin told her.

"Al-Alright." She made Harry stand in front of her, and to the side then she lifted her wand in the air.

Lupin grasped the lid of the packing case and pulled it open.

A Dementor rose slowly from the box, clearly saw Harry first, with one glistening, scabbed hand gripping its cloak. The lights in the classroom flickered out. The Dementor slowly crept closer towards them.

"Expecto patronum!" Rose yelled. "Expecto patronum!"

A big white light blew out of the tip of her wand, and swept quickly towards the Dementor. Soon enough there was a baby-sized, blackish-green dragon was flapping its wings, flying around her, along with the white light. The Dementor twisted and flew backwards, landing back into the box Lupin was holding open, mouth ajar.

"W-Wow!" Lupin said breathlessly. "You—you did it on your first try..that's wonderful! Good job, Rose."

Rose smiled slightly, still amazed, bring down her wand.

"Wow—nice job," Harry said amazed.

"Alright, Harry." Lupin said. "Your turn. Remember, not everyone gets it on their first try. It's exceedingly difficult to do."