Chapter 7: Real Shinobi Life, Talk-no-Jutsu (of a kind)

Start from the beginning

They looked familiar though, as if I read or saw something about that style of handle  somewhere before.

"This is our way of life!" At the tone, my eyes snapped to his face. "Unlike bandits who can sometimes be rehabilitated and given new purpose in life, missing Ninja who attack a team are trained in forms of espionage from a young age—just as you all were being taught at the academy! Sometimes it isn't as it appears to be, sometimes those we think have turned a new leaf are really sleeper cells or agents who are able to infiltrate and steal secrets from our village from a single act of compassion on our part. We may be known as the kindest village across the Elemental Nations, but make no mistake: our home is as drenched in blood as Kiri and Kumo combined! From the innocent to our enemies....we are the leaves whose service is to protect our tree from those who seek to poison us from the inside out. The money we receive from the various daimyo for completing bounties such as these-" he holds the black scroll up. "-brings stability to our economy. If none of you seek to quit your job as ninja after today, then this too will be expected from you once you reach my rank. You will fight and kill and sabotage and steal. We are not samurai who are full of misplaced honor—on the battlefield it is fight with everything you have to protect your self and your teammates— or die! Do you understand?"

"H-hai sensei.." Have I ever sounded so...unsure? Because it felt that way. I felt as if I was extremely unprepared in the face of such a cruel and harsh world that was breaking through my rose-colored lenses I'd developed over my time here as a child.

"Hai Sensei-!" Sasuke at least sounded determined.

".....sensei..." 'Naruto...'

"Genin Uzumaki! Do you understand?

"I...I understand—I just...why can't we change their minds? Why...why must we kill...won't that make us..monsters? The villagers—"

Kakashi Sensei sighed, and his stance changed. He looked...angry yet, tired suddenly. And...was that...sorrow? Grief?
I couldn't really tell with his mask in place. Hell, it was pleasing to me that sensei trusted us enough to even show his emotions at all. As a Jounin I didn't doubt he held a perfectly blank mask in his repertoire of ninja skills.

"The villagers are civilian idiots. Theres a reason we aren't forthcoming or even allowed to speak of  what our job description really is to those who aren't in the know. They pay us for our work and protection and we pay them to make our weapons and armor...for the most part. Its symbiotic, and even if the civilian council think they have a say in how we live our life, they are wrong. We are under a military leadership—which means the council will no longer have a say in how those who are descended and clanless are to live. Do you get what I mean by that Naruto? As a Genin you can safely ignore them—they wouldn't dare attack one of our own." Startled, Sasuke and I turned wide eyes to our blonde teammate, who looked empty and sick at the same time. His eyes darted to each of us, then he looked down, brow creasing and fists clenched as he shook in emotion.

Attacked—who would dare attack Naruto?!

What the hell is wrong with those people, he's just a fucking kid! That's it! He's completely moving in with me, even if I have to drag his ass to my house and lock him in a room or something as I move his stuff!

Sensei continued, his tone becoming slightly mocking as he spoke.
"As for the monster...If they truly knew what all is done to keep our home safe then every ninja chunin and up would be called monster. Most of us fought in a war—there may very well be another in your lifetime too! The things we've done to keep them safe...I guess theres no helping it." Shaking his head, sensei ruffled Naruto's hair.
"They're idiots and they will learn their place for what they've done. As for the poor sap behind me... well."