Chapter 28

--
"I'm sorry,"

These words resonated in my head in an infinite loop. It didn't feel real. Why all of the sudden would she apologized when she locked me in my room to prevent me from seeing Yeji. These words didn't make sense. However, that's what she said and the way she cried, the way she looked at me suggested that she indeed felt remorseful. She was truly sorry. I couldn't help the way tears started to fill in my eyes. Because despite everything she made me go through, she was my mom and I loved her.

"I'm so sorry, Lia. We were so stupid. I read how much you felt and I still couldn't get passed it. I don't want to lose you again. I wouldn't bear it. God, gave us a second chance and I don't want to blow it. I love you" she grabbed my dad's hand.  "We love you and...it's true that we need to understand what's going on but we'll....we'll get passed it."

'What's going on' that's how they qualified my relationship with Yeji. It saddened me but I guess it was better than nothing. I hoped that with time they'll get to understand that. The feeling of losing me was stronger than their hate and that...that was a win.

I adverted my gaze to Yeji who slowly looked at me. She sent me a shy smile. She was biting her bottom lip in nervosity. I squeezed her hand. I loved her. I truly did. I smiled at her and got my attention back to my parents who had apprehensive looks.

" If you mean it, we have a lot to talk about."  I turned toward Yeji again  "You'll have to accept that I love this woman."

"Lia?"

I turned toward my mom who had wide eyes and for an instant, I thought it was because she disliked that I had said but she held both of my dad's hand and smiled brightly. "You didn't even stutter."

My thought-process stopped. I haven't realized that. Was I improving?

Yeji squeezed my hand and lifted my gaze to her. She had a big smile on and a tear fell down her cheek. What was that for? Because she got better? She seemed really proud. She wiped the tear with her hand and I could see she was trying really hard not to cry but some tears still left her eyes so I reached for it and softly wiped them with my thumb. As my hand was about to leave her face, she turned her head and her lips kissed my hand. Her eyes never left mine as she did and I couldn't help but smile.

"Cute." I heard Ningning said. When I looked at her, she had a big proud smile on and her hands clasped together over it. It made me laugh a bit. But suddenly, my parents came back in my mind and I diverted my gaze. They looked at us with a bit of a weird expression but it wasn't entirely bad. I felt Yeji looked at her feet after seeing them.

"We should go back home to talk."  my mom said " All of you girls are welcome...and you too Yeji."

Yeji looked up to them in surprise but my mom was serious.

"After all, you are a big part of this conversation too."

Yeji gulped and softly nodded to her.

"Ok, let's go."  my dad clapped his hands together and turn around in direction of the road.

Yeji and I looked at each other. I could see in her eyes that she was telling me that we could do this together. I smiled and started walking. I heard Ryujin sighing loudly behind me and I could imagine Chaeryeong slapping her arm when I heard groan in pain.