Chapter 18

Flashback:

The rain was pouring outside the treehouse, the sound of it resonating on the roof.

Lia was lying by my side snuggling up in blankets. I was gently stroking her hair with one hand while with the other it was her arm that was resting on my stomach.

" I want to stay here forever," Lia breathed against my neck, creating euphoric shivers on it  " Nothing is complicated here,"

"It's because I'm awesome," I joked, making her laugh.

She shyly slapped my stomach " You're an idiot"

"I know,"

" But you're my idiot,"

My heart stopped. Did she really said that or was I imagining it? I knew she cared about me but was it that much?

I knew I had issues with relationships; the constant fear of being abandoned and since I became friend with Lia, I was scared I would drive her away. I was doubting everything I said, everything I did. I always wondered what would be too much for her? Maybe one day, she'll stop speaking to me all at once and...

" Yeji?"

My blurry vision focused on her confused face. That's when I realized I was crying. I didn't know when it started but the tears kept falling slowly on my face.

" Why are you crying? "  Lia asked in concern, wiping my tears.

"I..."  What could I say to this angel besides  "Thank you....Thank you for being here with me,"

Her eyes softened, she smiled and kissed my cheek. I felt embarrassed at my stupid reaction suddenly.

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't like you,"

I chuckled and Lia helped me straightened up and gave me a tissue.

After I wiped the tears away, I looked at her and my stomach was beautifully invaded by thousands of butterflies. She looked at me with such a loving expression that I couldn't even believe it was real. She gently took my hands in hers, moving closer. She nuzzled her face in the crook of my neck. Our fingers intertwined so naturally even though it was the first time we did it. I closed my eyes, enjoying the feelings of the moment.

"I know you're scared but you don't have to be,"

The weight of her and her warmth disappeared from my side, I opened my eyes and our eyes met.

"I'll always be here"

Could she?

" You can't promise that,"  I whispered.

" I know,"

Yet she came closer and I hold my breath. Our eyes still drowning in one another.

Our noses touched, hers was cold and I wanted to warm it with mine. Her lips grazed upon mine, I was already addicted before even having a taste. The kiss was tender and heady. The butterflies escaped in my veins, coursing my body in such a delighting way that I thought I was flying.

It was forever in my head yet only lasted a few seconds.

When our eyes met again, it was like there was electricity between us. A deep connection that I hoped would never break.

" Yeji?"  she murmured so vulnerably that I got scared for a second.

"Yeah?"

" I love you,"

Plain, raw, soft.

It hit me like a truck. All I could see was her eyes. It was the truth. A truth that came straight out of my wildest dreams. She wasn't lying and that was the craziest part to me. I loved her and she loved me back.

It all felt unreal but how could I imagine it?

At that moment, I became fully aware of my surroundings. I could hear the sound of her breathing and further away of the rain, so clearly. The smell of Lia's shampoo, the way her hands touched mine, the light breeze against my neck, the lightning on her face.

It was like an awakening.

" I love you, Julia Choi,"

Her smile spread, a tear escaped her eye but I knew it was a happy one.

"Let me kiss you," I mumbled.

She chuckled and approached her face.

It felt like everything would be alright as long as we got each other.

End Flashback

-

The tears started coming before I could stop them. I didn't want them to see me cry but the feelings were too strong and I began sobbing.

I felt comforting arms wrap around me and I didn't have to look up to know it was Ningning.

After a moment, I somehow managed to get a hold of myself. The sob died down, leaving place to embarrassment.

" Sorry,"  I sniffled after I regained my composure.

" It's ok,"  Ningning patted my shoulder.

The girls were still on the other side of the room, however, they seemed less hostile almost....touched? It was hard to say.

" Damn Hwang! I thought I was gonna catch feelings for a second," Ryujin mocked.

I scoffed. I wish I could see that. That day, it would be a miracle.

Chaeryeong took a few steps closer looking at Ningning and I  " I...This is undeniably a complicated situation we're in," That's an understatement, I thought  " But all of...this,"  She gestured around the room.  "This isn't helping the original problem,"

"Lia's disappearance," Ningning reminded everyone.

"Yes," Chaeryeong confirmed  " We need to find her. All of us can agree that this is really unlike Lia. Right, Miss Hwa—Yeji?"

I was taken aback that she was addressing me directly but I guess...progress?

" It's very...uncommon," I agreed.

"Maybe we're overreacting,"  We all turned toward Ryujin with unexpressive faces  " A bit?...No, ok. Guess we're not,"  she sighed and sat on a desk.

"So none of us have any idea where she could be?"  Yuna asked. Everyone shook their heads.

"Maybe Hwang locked her in her cellar?"  Ryujin deadpanned.

" haha...really funny,"  I glared at her. She sent me a mocking smile.

"Ryujin, not the time," Chaeryeong huffed, exasperated once again.

Ryujin threw her hands up, backing off. She seemed to have calmed a bit after earlier but she was still, well, an asshole.

"We should work together ,"  Ningning suggested out of nowhere  " We need to find her and the more we are the better, right?"

"Maybe she's just chilling at home?" Ryujin intervened again.

"Thank you for your deep insight but very unlikely,"  Chaeryeong answered, sending her a glare that clearly meant 'shut up'.

"We'll go to her house after school,"

"You should go to the treehouse, maybe she's there,"  Ningning addressed me.

"What treehouse?"  Yuna, Chaeryeong, and Ryujin asked at the same time.