01. she who bears witness

THE death knells kept ringing. Sarutobi Hiruzen feared that the sound would haunt him forever. War demanded more men and more lives, and even five years down the line the end was nowhere to be seen. How many more would it take? How many more would have to die before Hiruzen could see peace descend upon the horizon? Perhaps, and Hiruzen hesitated to think this, this was a question that could be answered tonight, if he chose wisely. Midnight struck, and as the lights below in the residential streets of the village extinguished one by one, Hiruzen stood before his desk, face to face with a single sheet of paper.

Any mention of Shimura Danzo was met by Sarutobi Hiruzen with furrowed brows. Direct correspondence warranted more than that—a tug of the heartstrings, not to mention the migraine that inevitably came pounding at Hiruzen's temples. And tonight, ROOT's seal emerged once more to inform the Third of what was to come. It was a notice, not a request, because Hiruzen's signature at the bottom was never any more than a formality. Children were soon to start going missing, this he now knew.

He lamented this fact, turning to the window beyond which laid the village he was trusted with. Konohagakure no Sato, a village fostering bright young shinobi and citizens alike, a village burning with the Will of Fire he held so dear. His village. Hiruzen could not deny the turning of his stomach and the unrest that tingled beneath his skin. Even so! There was nothing he could do. He signed the file and shuffled it away with the rest. This was a sacrifice for the sake of the Village, he told himself.

Preparing himself to retire for the night, he was interrupted by the abrupt entrance of a battered shinobi. Blood soaked into his sleeves as fresh cuts littered his arms, his knees shaking as he struggled to maintain his stance. He fell to his knees, both in respect to the Hokage and because he could no longer stand.

"There's a survivor," the ANBU said hurriedly. "Forgive my insolence, my lord," he quickly remedied, realizing he spoke without permission. Hiruzen shook his head and motioned for him to go on. "We were ambushed on our way there, but they got away. The village was already destroyed. Only one child remains."

Hiruzen knew what had to be done. "Kill it."

It was wartime. The villages in the outskirts were bound to be targeted at one point or another, and Konoha was already stretched thin. There were no resources, much less manpower, to be spared for the rural villages. Another mouth to feel meant less food for those already here. Perhaps mercy was letting them die painlessly rather than live and suffer. Konoha came first.

"My lord."

It was cruel, Hiruzen knew. Crueler than what his followers might have expected from him. But what other choice did he have? What else could he—a revelation befell him then, though whether to call it mercy, Hiruzen did not know.

"Wait," the Sandaime corrected, "describe this child to me."

The ANBU seemed unsure, but did as he was told. "A girl, appearing to be around four years of age. She was standing there without a word, surrounded by flames."

"Unafraid?"

"Completely, my lord."

"Good." This child might prove useful to Konoha. "Bring this child to me. And send for Shimura Danzo immediately."

The ANBU gave a swift reply of affirmation and shunshinned away. He'd be back in minutes, and in the meantime Hiruzen lit his smoke pipe, taking a long breath. He would see to the child before handing it over to Danzo. The decision was already made.

     ANOTHER knock at the door meant Hiruzen had reached the point of no return. No more doubts. He had already sent for Danzo, the child was already at the door. No more hesitation.