Chapter 17 - Close call

Start from the beginning

'Can we start the coming-back-to-life process, please?' Austin joined in. 'Looking at him makes me sick.'

Eleonora nodded again and leaned over the blond. 'Can you go for a walk? Or at least close your eyes? Because we don't have any pliers, so I'll have to do it with my own hands.'

'I'm staying,' Trevor said.

'Yeah, me too,' Austin added, yet sounding less certain.

Her lungs filled up with air before her shaking hands reached for the bullet. William's blood wasn't like human blood, it was much slimier and redder. The process was disgusting but necessary. The accompanying sound might've been even worse, though. It was better to remove the bullet before it could make its way out, leaving a through hole behind.

Within a few minutes she got the bullet out and put it away from any supernatural being's reach. She sighed in victory as she was wiping sweat off her forehead. She'd never expected that she'd become a surgeon one day.

As her part was done, she could make space for Trevor beside the vampire. She reckoned he'd appreciate his presence more than hers.

Trevor had been holding William's hand all that time, and now he felt as the blond started putting some force into their grasp, too. It brought joy onto his face. He peeked every now and then to see the vampire's tissue restoring itself. It was terrifying to look at, but also somewhat remarkable. The process resembled fabric sewing itself up, threads and weaves magically coming back together.

It took William so long to get back in shape that Eleonora had decided to drive the van into a safer place. However, Trevor stayed by his side, watching him and not letting go of his hand. When his eyes slowly opened, he first saw the brunet's blurry silhouette. He ignored that his wound hadn't fully healed, as he sat up wrapping his arms around Trevor.

They stayed in a passionate, tight hug for a while, their chins in one another's shoulders. This time tears that were trickling down Trevor's cheeks were of happiness, not sadness or grief. William must've felt them on his skin. He patted the brunet's back, indicating that it was time to separate.

'I thought he'd killed you,' Trevor sobbed, gazing into his eyes.

'It's not that easy to get rid of me,' he smiled. Although he knew it wasn't the wisest of him to let himself get knocked out. If the witch hunter hadn't been injured, he would've gone for them. It wouldn't have been easy to make it out alive without him.

'William! You're back!' Eleonora shouted happily from behind the steering wheel.

Austin got off his seat to greet William. It all felt so surreal like he had come from dead. The vampire stood up and hugged him for a moment. However, it wasn't any close to the one he and Trevor had shared.

When they let go of each other, William looked back at the brunet and pulled him closer by his arm. 'I need to talk to you,' the blond whispered into his ear, 'but not yet.'

'Then when?' he asked, his eyes wide.

'Meet me around midnight,' he said, giving him a smile.

Trevor was left clueless.

Sleeping with his head leaning against the window was obviously not comfortable, so Trevor rarely got to sleep at all in this four-people-one-van scenario. But this time was different, he was exhausted after William's presumed death. Once he closed his eyes, sleep came around immediately.

However, he managed to wake up when it was entirely dark outside the windscreen, stars shining brightly in the sky. He had no idea what time it was, though. Panic stunned him at first. What if he'd missed the occasion?