thirteen

Thirteen minutes to go.

It was exactly 2:04am New York time, which meant it was 12:04am Colorado time. She had been sitting on the floor of her still-new apartment, trying to think herself out of all the anxiety she was feeling. But when she just couldn’t handle it anymore, she picked up the phone that was resting on the couch. Three rings was all it took before that low, comforting voice answered.

“What’s wrong, Leigh?” He asked, the first words out of his mouth. She let out a small sigh as she let herself fall back onto her couch. He didn’t sound perturbed or angry about getting a call so late at night, he sounded worried. Considering they had only talked a few times since graduation, she was relieved at his compassion.

“Tomorrow’s the first day of school. I’m freaking out, Ben. What if this goes horribly wrong and all the kids hate me? What if I’m not prepared enough? What if I’m not good at teaching?” With each worry, she felt herself lean farther and farther back into the couch.

“First of all, why are you awake at this time? You have to be up in, like, four hours. Second of all, you’ve taught before. You know what you’re capable of and that you’re a great teacher. You’re where you’re meant to be right now, Leigh. You didn’t go through all those years of school, you wouldn’t have passed with honors, you wouldn’t have gotten this job, if you weren’t good at teaching. Remember that.”

“It just seems so surreal that this is the rest of my life. I’m going to see these kids every day for the next year and their education is up to me. It’s such a terrifying thought.”

“I know, but you need to get sleep tonight or tomorrow will be hell. Promise me that once we hang up, you’ll get into bed and try to sleep.”

“Okay.”

---

hi! sorry it's a later update i kinda had a busy day heh

also i find out if i get into the college in new york i applied for this week and i'm freaking out

update a day and chapters dedicated to random commenters:)

-katie-