eight

Eight minutes to go. 

“I’m leaving in three hours. Are we going to talk about it?” He sighed heavily, feeling like their relationship always ended up at the edge of a pier and she didn’t want to jump in while he was already in the water.

“No.” Leigh turned away from him, feeling like one of her third graders who refused to answer a question in front of the class.

“Why don’t you come with me? Become a military wife, travel the world with me. You always said you wanted to homeschool your kids. Well I’ve always wanted to homeschool my kids since you told me that. Hey! Why don’t we save time and energy and make kids - the two of us! What do you say, the DIY school?” 

“Ben, don’t do this. Please, please, please don’t make me decide.” She begged, trying to shrug herself out of his arms. 

He let her go, crashing backwards onto the couch. “I’m going to Alabama next, there are plenty of teaching positions available there! I looked into it, there’s one that’s a ten minute drive from the base. We could even get a house by a lake or next to a park. We could get married-“

“Ben! Please, please stop making this harder for me.” 

“Why is this so hard for you? Help me understand.”

“Because New York is my life! My family is an hour drive away, this school appreciates me, I have a life here. I can’t imagine following you around for the rest of my life, okay? I love you - so so so much. But I’m not going to pack up and leave every three years because you get new orders. I don’t want to drag my children around, never letting them meet any friends. Please, can’t we just keep us the way we are?”

“We can’t do that, and you know it.” He said, refusing to look her in her eyes. Instead he was staring with determination at the coffee table while she kept blinking back tears. “I’m not always going to come back. We can’t always go back to holding hands on a walk through the park. We’re adults, as scary as it may seem, and we have to make up our mind what we’re doing.”

“I think it’s already been decided.”

“So much for invincible, huh?”

---

I'm not late! It's 11:30pm Hawaii time therefore it's still today which means I didn't upload late. Ha.

:(

Update every day! 

-katie-