Night Minds ( a Vampire Diaries and Supernatural Crossover)

Dean turned off the car. They were at the entrance to Mystic Falls. A little town where everyone seemed welcoming and charming. But Dean knew better than to trust appearances, he was a Winchester after all. He knew this town was everything but normal, he was aware of what goes bump in the night and knew that this town was crawling with it.

And it was this knowledge that hurt the most. He has to leave them here, on their own. He couldn’t protect them this time, no matter how much he wanted to, they’d have to do it themselves.

He was breaking the promise he’d made a long time ago, to always be there for them, no matter what. He was leaving them and it was killing him. But the worst was to leave her, he knew it was his duty but he loved her so much, she was his little ray of sunshine, his everything. They both were.

A heavy sigh escaping his lips caught his son’s attention.

“Dad? he asked”

Turning to look at him, Dean felt his heart clench at what he was about to do. Looking at his son’s face he saw his mother, Lisa. Benny had the same eyes and the same hair color although he still looked a lot like him. Lisa. He remembered the phone he had received years ago from his son. Apparently, watching his mother getting torn to shreds by demons broke whatever spell Cas had put on him and brought back his memories. He had called Dean, completely terrified. The Winchesters had rushed to get him. Sam found him hiding under the sink, hugging his knees to his chest, tears streaming down his face. After that, Ben didn’t utter a word for weeks. The only sentence he pronounced was “It’s you”. Nothing more, leaving two very puzzled hunters. It wasn’t until later, when he found his birth certificate in Lisa’s bedroom, that Dean understood what he meant: under the mention “father” she had written his name. Ben was his son. That day, he swore that no one would ever hurt his children. Yes children, as in more than one. He chuckled remembering the first time Ben and Emma met, their calculating eyes, assessing the other, the awkward silence only broken when Emma deemed that she liked him enough and launched herself in his arms. She helped deal with his mother’s death and eventually brought him out of his silence and he was there for here, always and forever protecting her and watching after her. They had each other’s back and would do anything for the other. It seems all Winchester siblings were this way. Maybe it was a family curse. Or blessing.

“Dad!” he was brought out of his reverie by Ben a second time.

-          Everything is going to be fine, he tried to reassure his father

-          I know son, just…” the words died in his throat, how the heck was he supposed to tell his son that possibly none of them would make it out of this?!

-          I’ll take care of her, finished Ben; we have each other’s back remember? Always, he assured.

Smiling slightly at his son, he turned to look at her sleeping form. There she was, his little girl, in the back seat with her forehead resting against the window, her dirty blond hair falling in her face. It was uncanny how much father and daughter were alike, same dirty blonde hair, same forest green eyes, same passionate love for pie, cars and Led Zeppelin, and also, same witty smart-ass personality. If she was anything like her mother, he didn’t know, it wasn’t exactly like she had stuck around long enough for him to get to know her. He doesn’t regret meeting her though. If it wasn’t for her, he wouldn’t have Emma. None of them would. And God knows where they would without her in their lives. They would have lost hope a long time ago and given up the fight. All of them, him, Benny, Sammy, Bobby, heck even Cas. He remembers the day she came into their life.

He remembers it like it was yesterday. Lydia came to his motel room. Sammy was out looking or information on the amazons while he was sipping a beer trying to wrap his mind around the idea that he, Dean Winchester, had a daughter, one he will have to kill. His thoughts were interrupted by fierce banging on his door. Groaning, he pushed himself off of the sofa and opened the door. And there she was, eyes red and puffy from crying, hair disheveled from running, hands trembling in fear. He should have killed her right there and then, the woman who deceived him. And he would have, his hand was already on the gun in his jeans’ waistband. However, her next words stopped him.