18. Alone You've Become

Start from the beginning

"This fella over here has a sweet girl back home." James said acting impulsive without forethought. He closed the menu placing it down neatly back to the corner of the table. He looked into my eyes long enough but I didn't bother looking back into his.

"Don't even who you are right now." Dan suddenly sat up fixing his trousers underneath the table and took a good glimpse out the window. 

"Oh so you like her?" Dan asked. I could't hold back my feelings.

"Yea!"

"When you gone tell her?"

"When I can."

"When you can? The time is now kid." I look around the bar briefly.

"She's very gorgeous I tell you Dan," Dan raised his brows. "She's got the nicest lips I've ever seen in a while. . .but she's young."

"How young?" asked Dan.

"Probably her early twenties." said James unsure.

"You know what they say about the young ones these days, face on twenty five, but your age is on the clock."

"You ain't lien'" said James.

"She's not that kind of young." I said.

"I'm just messin' wit' ya kid," Dan laughed and opened the menu. "What you doin' for New Years boy?"

"I don't know."

"Nothing? Not even get high out of your mind?"

"Not that kind of guy."

"Back in my days we had these things called Ludes. Man, I used to be on cloud 99 when I popped those suckers." Dan said rattling his mouth like a snake about his memories. James looked at the time on his watch while listening to his pal right beside him.

"Oh shoot. We're going to be late for our meeting. Let's go Dan," Dan struggled to get out his seat "Deion I'll be back later. And we are still goin' fishin'. " I watched him propel though the bar laughing loudly behind Dan.

I didn't mind him leaving so soon. I was hopping they'd leave so soon.

I sat there all by myself alone feeling jitters inside me while I watched the soccer game on the television for a quick second. I watched everyone around me smile and laugh loudly the whole night.

After the obligatory preamble on the orders the waiters got down to business walking away from the crowd of customers yelling angrily at the players at the television screen.

I was intrigued by the soccer game and couldn't help but walk over near the bartender and watch it up close instead.

I sat down in an empty seat engaging myself in the game. Everyone seemed to be having a good time until a man accidentally spilled his drink into someone else's plate of food. The tall guy who seemed displeased tapped him verbatim. The other guy didn't respond.

"Hey fucker!" the tall guy punched the other guy in the face. Everyone began pushing and shoving while trying to stop the fight from getting even more intense than it already was.

"What the fuck dude?" said the other guy holding his nose. The owner of the bar held them apart from each other trying to make peace between the two verbally cursing each other out in the act of vengeance.

The look in the tall guy's eyes were demeaning and focused. A woman with pastel colors in her hair came between the owner and the guy's cursing each other out.

"Take this outside for all I care!" she said. Everyone stopped talking and watched her march over to the bar where I was sitting. She caught everyone's attention. She caught my attention the most but instead of trying to look at her in the eyes, I kept them far away as possible. I heard soft moans coming from the crowd as the rest of the guys walked away from each other talking to their own groups of friends about each other.

"Fucking men. Always want to come in my fucking bar and start shit. Go the fuck home to your wives and start shit there" she said angrily cleaning the small cups of glass.

"I don't get it. You guys fight like pigs" she looked at me. I swallowed my spit loudly that I can hear the thud coming from the back of my throat.

"Huh?"

"Never mind." She poured another man a shot who sat next to me terrified to even ask for a specific kind of drink he'd rather have.

"Cheers man!" he said walking away from the area into a triumph of people bundled up against each other.

"Cheers." I said as he walked away.