Part One - Midnight Sun; The Breath of a Dying Soldier

Eren slowly dragged Bertholdt’s unconscious body through Shiganshina by roof-top, moving as slow as a sloth, possibly slower. And then, he sighed shakily and stared down at the lifeless and burnt body of Armin Arlert. Eren was speechless, shaking at the sight of his best friend. I should’ve known you’d do something like this… Armin, did you have any regard for your own life…? I should’ve known, Armin! Not like I could do anything to stop you.

The boy was about to start breaking down on the spot before he heard the gallops of an incredibly quick Titan. Eren watched as it approached, gaining a grimace. “A Titan? Is it another Shifter?” Eren shouldn’t be as shocked as he is, learning of another Shifter is practically the norm. “Is it coming for me…?”

Right after questioning it, the Titan leaped towards his building, almost like summoning the devil. He took no hesitation in taking Bertholdt hostage and putting a blade to his throat, ready to slit it and kill him. He loosened as he saw it was carrying a human, but didn’t let up.

“Hey! You! Come any closer and your friend dies, got it? I’ll kill him! I don’t care for his life, so I’ll take it with ease!” Eren screamed at the man and the Titan, rage blazing through his irises. He stared at the bearded man aboard it, noticing the marks on his eyes, He must be the Beast Titan… I should end him right here right no-

“Perhaps,” The blond, bearded man spoke in a simple and gentle tone, “Are you Eren Jaeger?”

Eren was taken aback by this, “I’ll kill him! I swear to God!” He relentlessly shouted, reminding the man who knew of his name of his intention.

“No, I mean no harm, brother. I know exactly what you’re going through right now; you’re scared. I, too, am a victim of Grisha Jaeger,” He spoke kindly, making sure Eren felt safe, “You’ve been brainwashed by our father.”

A gasp of shock emits from Eren’s lips, staring at the man as if he just saw a ghost. The resemblance between this man and his dad was uncanny. Brother? OUR father? Who… are you? Eren thought, in total belief he was speaking.

He looks down at Eren with a neutral expression before hearing the sounds of ODM gear clanking and wires reeling. He looked up at the daunting 50m wall and saw what was deemed to be his only match; Captain Levi Ackerman. “Levi. Damn you… Considering my condition, I can’t fight you, and vice versa! So consider this a draw. And there’s no time to take you…” He looked down at the hostage Bertholdt, “I’m sorry, Bertholdt. May the devils of Paradis Island take mercy on you.”

He commanded the Cart Titan to turn and get ready, “Eren, I’ll come back and save you from these Islander Devils, one day! I promise.”

Eren was in a state of shock, dropping Bertholdt and forcing the body to the ground. He didn’t know what to think. Did this man just say I was his brother? Dad, who really were you?

He had no time to process as his captain landed in front of him, blood covering his features. Levi gave a low sigh as he watched the Cart Titan run away from him before turning to his subordinate, “Eren! Give me all of your gas and blades! I need to chase that bearded bastard!” Levi screamed at him, kneeling down and beginning to disconnect his gas, “Now!”

Eren looked at his captain, before snapping back into place, “Yes, sir!” Eren complies, beginning to take out his blades and canisters.

A soft but almost gravelly breath came from a dying soldier behind Eren. The one and only Armin Arlert.

What… Eren turned, his neck craning as he turned. His fearful eyes turning to hopeful, “Armin…?”

Eren immediately collapses to his knees and kneels beside him, grabbing his best friend’s wrist, “Armin! Please, keep breathing! You’re doing fantastic, you’ll be okay, buddy, please just stay with me!” Eren smiled, tears immediately starting to drip down his scarred cheeks as Armin continued to fight for his life.