Chapter 18

John’s POV

“Do you remember when we lived in that hotel in London?” Laila raised an eyebrow before stretching, her body curving back with the effort. 

“Um,” she started her voice high with strain. “We were living in a hotel in London four days ago.” 

“In ’63, silly girl.” I made a face I’d once made to a train compartment full of girls in a movie and tickled her exposed side. She squealed and tried to roll away.

“Yes!” she shrieked and gasped. “I remember!” I stopped, smiling. She breathed heavily, slowly regaining her ability to speak.  “What specifically were you thinking of?”

“When you and Paul made the loudest sex noises in history.” I reached over to my bedside table and sparked up a cigarette. Laila blushed. I knew she didn’t like to talk about stuff like that, but I wasn’t giving up that easy. Life can be much more uncomfortable, this is nothing.

“Yeah, I remember.” a small smile formed on her lips. It pissed me off. Not her being happy, I loved that, but that the smile was because of Paul. Because Paul…had her. I had yet to make her scream that much, but I wasn’t giving up.

“I remember laying there in bed next to Cyn,” I could say my ex wife’s name with Laila, she didn’t go fucking mental at the mention. “And wanting nothing more than to punch Macca in the face. I tore a hole in the sheets thinking about it.” I looked over and Laila’s face was turning red until finally she rolled over and laughed loudly into the sheets. A self conscious part of me pulled away and another part had the kind of violent intentions that only come from years of being laughed at. 

“I’m not laughing at you, Johnny,” I could hear the smile in her voice. “It’s just, what you’re talking about? It didn’t happen.” I sat up to defend my knowledge of the events factual existence. “I mean, it did happen, but not how you think. Those noises were fake.” She sat up on her heels. “We did it to get at you, George, and Ringo.” I stared at her. “We knocked the head board against the wall and yelled, we didn’t actually do anything. I mean, we did, but after that. The only person that has ever made me that loud is you. And usually when I’m yelling at you.” I felt a smile creep over my face. Laila kissed me quickly and slipped out of the bed, pulling her pyjamas on.

“Where are you going? We have so much to celebrate.” she laughed and slipped on a bra then her shirt.

“I’m going to make your sons breakfast. Crêpes and fresh fruit. Want some?” I nodded quickly and got up pulling on boxers and a shirt. I followed her out and went to wake the boys.”

“Up you come, Sean.” I gently shook the 7 year old. He rolled away whining. I sighed. “I guess it’s time for the pick up.” I heard him giggle as I threw him over my shoulder. “Let’s go get your brother, shall we?” 

“Julian, wake up!” he cried towards his older brother’s door. I cracked it open and kicked a discard pillow at the probably hung over 19 year old. 

“Laila’s making crêpes.” Julian rolled over and groaned. I could only assume the two got that from me. A moment of silence as Sean and I watched the mass under the covers.

“Make some for Sally, too.” The teenager poked a devious face out his covers. A second later a blonde girl popped her head out as well. 

“Sadie. My name is Sadie.” I couldn't help but be reminded. I laughed and carried Sean into the kitchen, sitting him down in his bar chair booster seat.

“Julian has company.” I told Laila, wiggling my eyebrows. Her’s just jumped up beneath her bangs. “Her name is Sadie.” she suppressed a chuckle. 

“Good to know.” She pulled out another plate as Julian and his bird wandered in. The girl looked sort of ashamed to be in one of Julian’s shirts, but Laila just smiled.

“I’ll be right back. John, can you keep an eye on the crêpes?” I nodded and manned the…whatever that was while Laila ran into the bedroom. She came back out a minute later with some shorts for the girl. “This might be a bit more comfortable.” Sadie thanked her and put them on quickly. Laila came back and finished up the food. After I took my plate, I passed behind her and winked at Julian before smacking Laila’s ass. She jumped at impact, but chased after me with a spatula, swatting me on the back of the neck. I blew a kiss to her and she smiled back, flipping me off. That was our way of saying ‘I love you,’