Chapter 3- The show is still on

Secluded from the city and surrounded by nature. The lodge looks spacious and clean. A traditional style and light colours. It is a perfect hiding place for the Detective Agency staff. The perfect hostages.

"What a great lodge!" John comments. "If we plow the land, we can grow a nice hortiged here."

"It is favorable that we actually do the job." Ozumi spats.

"Shall I capture the girls?" mumbles Howard.

"No, you will just finish the job before it is even commenced. The same goes for me." Ozumi says. "Let's utilise John's ability for this."

From his overalls pocket, John retrieved a small, brown pouch and a sharp blade. He empties the pouch to his palm and half a dozen plant seeds fall from it. Promptly, he stabs himself on the neck. The smile fades from his face as the blade pierces his skin, but the corners of his lips tug upwards when he inserts one single seed into his flesh. The wound closes immediately. And opens again when a small weak branch grows from his skin. The branch grows into grape vine that towers over them. Besides the small root on John's neck and face, the larger roots curl on the concrete floor and flood the lodge area.

The sight is ungodly, but Ozumi doesn't turn away from it. Soon, they would find their prey.

John closes his eyes in concentration. Through the roots, he searches the targets.

In a matter of seconds, he opens his darkened eyes. His smile is cold.

"There you are." he whispers.

He gestures to his comrades to follow him. Ozumi accompanies his relaxed steady step, while Horward drags his feet behind them, but always close by.

They never got to escape very far. Just down the road, there is a car tangled on the grape vines roots. The metal bended under the pressure and the windows were cracked. The Detective Agency staff was inside.

"That must've been scary.," John speaks louder. "Apologies my ladies."

From inside the car, the same woman who served Francis a cup of tea at the meeting with the Agency and another woman with glasses peek at their capturers. The first one is obviously faking a tough act, but the second trembles with their presence.

"Tell me," John continues. "Do either of you know much about grape vines? What they do is, they seek out other plants to attach themselves to and then grave their shoots together. Allow me to demonstrate."

At that last sentence, he raises his arm towards the roots holding the car. The metal buckles from the higher pressure applied by the roots. The windows crack further, almost to a breaking point.

"If I'm urging my grape vines with the surrounding flora, I can use all the plants in this area as an extension of my own body. And because the senses of this vegetation are in tune with my own, I'm afraid that running away from me is simply an impossibility."

His explanations are taking too long. If Ozumi was by herself, she believes the targets would've been acquired, at least, ten minutes ago. She would already be on her way back and they could move on with the plan. However, Ozumi has to admit, his ability is quite the useful one. And also, incredibly flammable.

"C'mon now, don't look so upset!" John says with a cheery smile. "All I need is a favour."

"When a villain asks you for a favour," the woman at the driver's seat responds. "All they're going to do is take something from you and then throw you away."

John starts to speak, but gets interrupted by Ozumi.

"If this woman is already aware of who we are," Ozumi speaks, the heat of her presence rises. "We must get this show started without any other delays."