complicated situations

Kim war ripped out from her memory. "Does Adam come tonight too? Please he has to come, he's promised that we'll repeat our bet." Makayla smiled questioningly at Kim. "Hmmm, so..."

Kim tried to find the right words. How could she tell Makayla that she hasn't really spoken to Adam for weeks? That she herself wanted to go out to dinner with him. That she didn't know how to act around him. That she didn't know what was going on with them. That she didn't know what to do to make him forgive her.

She didn't know anything. But she couldn't bring it to her heart to tell Makayla that she probably wouldn't see Adam so often or even not at all anymore.

"Makayla, honey, I don't know I'll ask him." That was the only thing she could say. She couldn't tell Makayla that she herself didn't know if Adam would or would ever want to spend time with Makayla again.

"He has to come, it's always funnier when he's there." Makayla said as they rolled into the parking lot in front of the preschool. Kim got out and helped Makayla out of the car. "I'll see what I can do. I always like it more when he's there too." The second part of the answer she only muttered. "Thank you, see you later!" Makayla smiled, hugged Kim briefly and ran towards to other children who were already playing on the playground in front of the building. Kim watched her as she greeted the teacher and then climbed with three other girls on the scaffold.

Another look at her phone let her storm back into the car. She would be late today, really late. It was already 8.25 am and she had to drive to the district during the worst morning traffic. She would be really late, dammit!

The eyes on the street and trying to meander through the traffic, her thoughts drifted back to Adam, as they had done all the time during the last weeks. Makayla missed Adam, which Kim had already noticed a week ago, when Makayla asked her why she hardly spoke of Adam anymore. Kim had tried to tell her that she had hurt his feelings and that he was now pushing her away. But she couldn't tell Makayla. The poor girl had experienced too much drama in a short time, that she now also had to witness the drama round Adam and Kim. Kim really didn't want to do this to her, especially if Adam would never forgive Kim. If Adam had decided that he and Kim should go separate ways from now on. That they would be over now. And as it looked at the moment, that's exactly what he had done.

Kim really hoped she was wrong with that assumption. She had believed for long enough that Adam wasn't serious about her. But when he was still there for her after the miscarriage and the two started to build a friendship again, she had to admit that he meant it.

But she didn't know for a long time what she wanted. She still blamed herself for the miscarriage and knew that in some way Adam did so, although he would never admit it. She didn't know If she'd ever forgive herself, she thought about it over and over again, and still suffered from the loss. How much this baby meant to her, she didn't really realize until it was gone. A week before the miscarriage, she had really begun to imagine how she and Adam were raising their daughter or their son together.

But the situation now was completely different, and until recently she didn't know what she wanted. But the much time she had spent with Adam during the quarantine time, the many movie nights, the many dart games she had always won because Adam was really not a gifted thrower, the many dinners, the many drinks at O'Malley's, everything, it made her realize a lot.

The whole unit was sitting at their desks, immersed in doing paperwork. For a few weeks now they have been sitting on this case. It was about a prostitutions ring that traded girls form Eastern Europe. The girls were mostly smuggled into the country and then forced into prostitution, so much had at least one of Jay's CI's said.