Ch. 8: The Valhahns (part 2)

Start from the beginning

"You were the first Magnus had ever been defeated by. On top of that, you hunted his race to near extinction to ensure the human race's safety. You're in a constant conflict of war with Magnus. Father... can you defeat him again if he rises once more?" Salem asked, filled with hope. 

Corvenus then walked to his seat and sat as a king would. 

"Magnus is a formidable opponent, but I defeated him before a thousand years ago when he first attempted to reign over us and I will put him in his place again if need be." He announced confidently. 

Salem then rose to his feet and began to walk towards the stairs. 

"Thank you, Father. I feel a lot better. I appreciate you for informing me. I'll be sure to make my rounds of the territory twice the amount to assure no threats come our way." Corvenus chuckled. 

"My son, you're as trenchant and stubborn as your father. You'll make a fine lord one day. You and your beloved Victoria shall rule as one." Salem stopped in his tracks, not turning. 

"...Thank you, Lord Corvenus. Long live the king."  Salem projected with his thoughts, disappearing in an instant. 

A small smile came across Corvenus' face.

Victoria’s POV

Trinity and I passed through a corridor that was filled with many paintings, mostly of ancient cities and various artifacts. We crossed a room that was decorated with ebony wood shelves that held many books, it seemed the Valhahns relished in their literature. To the far left side inside the room, another grand piano sitting at the edge of the window. And further ahead a bed set that far surpassed a queen size bed made of black silk and many assorted pillows. The room held a familiar aroma and Trinity noticed my expression as I recalled the scent clearly. 

"You have a very sharp nose for a human. Do you recognize the scent in this room?" She asked patiently, allowing me to absorb more of the familiar essence as I walked to the bed and lay a single hand upon it, gently gliding it over the smooth silk. 

"This is Salem's room isn't it? There's no mistaking it. He has a very alluring scent, like honeydew. Its barely noticeable, but I know his scent anywhere." 

My mind didn't catch on to what had blurted from my mouth until it was too late. I gasped, covering the mouth that possibly made me seem like a stalker and was now embarrassed. 

Trinity giggled to herself as she waved a hand, gesturing I did no wrong. 

"You certainly have been paying close attention to my son. I like that trait about you, so aware, yet only human. Yes, this is your beloved's bedroom. He rarely is in his own room or home for that matter. He prefers the campus for some odd reason. Humans really intrigue him. I suppose part of him wishes he could have lived to see how his human life would have become. It was saddening that no one in our family could cure his loneliness..." She said faintly. 

She then gazed upon me, and I felt the chill from the back of her hand gently rub my cheek. It startled me a bit, but I was growing accustom to a vampire's divine speed. I cast my gaze upon her scarlet eyes, blushing. 

"But you, Victoria. You gave Salem undying love and happiness. A gift he's been seeking for over a century. Oh how your love for him reminds me of my own when I was once human, when I fell for my beloved, Corvenus." She reminiscences. 

Suddenly, struck by fear, we both jumped and peered towards the door that led out to the stairs. A monstrous sound came from below: Salem. Trinity then glanced back at me, now taking my hand and racing quickly out of his room. I had no time to resist, and I didn't feel the need to. I did however want to head in the opposite direction that Trinity was taking me. Salem was clearly enraged about something and I wanted to comfort him. Trinity then turned a corner and walked a few feet ahead, then halting. Atreau was a small distance away from us, concealed behind him, a small child who clung to him.