Hit and Miss

Manjari lugged the two suitcases up to the second floor. She trained under their weight and cursed her apartment complex for not having an elevator. Her brother was bringing the other two. Even at the airport, he had looked at her luggage and started laughing. Manjari just pursed her lips.

The moment they were home, Amaira started shouting for her presents. Manjari was tired and wanted to sleep but when she looked at her daughter's expectant face, she relented. She promised Amaira that they would open presents together after she had showered. She requested her mother for a cup of tea and was surprised when Suhani offered to make it. Manjari looked at her mother in amazement who pushed her towards the shower. When she came back, she found Amaira sitting on her luggage waiting for her. Rubbing a towel through her wet hair, she took a sip of her tea and let out a sigh of contentment. The tea was made just as she liked it and sat on the floor. She opened all her luggage one by one and started handing out everyone their presents. For Amaira, she had bought lots of frocks, jackets, new boots and even a few purses. Amaira squealed with joy every time Manjari handed her a new present. For her mother, she had got a few jackets and sweaters and very warm fleece-lined leggings. Her father was gifted with new T-shirts and hoodies. For her brother, she had a new watch. She had bought a lot of makeup for Suhani and a bag from Ann Klein. She was surprised when Suhani accepted her gift graciously and with a smile. Manjari's eyebrows shot to her forehead. What had happened when she was not around?

Manjari spent the next few days settling in. She rejoined her previous work and her previous colleagues were more than glad to see her. She was to resume work next month. She had met Neel when she was coming down the staircase of her college but there were so many people around that all they could do was exchange pleasantries.
-----------------------------------

Manjari was leaving her staff room when suddenly a hand grabbed her upper arm and pulled her in the opposite direction. She knew instinctively that it was Neel!
He dragged her up a flight of stairs and then a long, empty corridor and then another flight of stairs.
"Where are you taking me", Manjari hissed as she tripped over her saree, her black and grey saree that she had worn especially for Neel.
"Somewhere I can have some alone time with you", was all Neel said, winking, winking at her! What was he thinking??? What if somebody saw them??
" Nobody comes here", she heard Neel say as if he had read her mind, "which makes it perfect for this".
And before Manjari could process his words, she found herself backed against a wall with Neel's lips fastened over hers.
He kissed her and Manjari felt his emotions in that kiss and all her resistance went out of the window. She reciprocated his advances, her hands hugging him, pulling him even closer, if possible.
Pretty soon, the kiss had to end, as they both needed to breathe!
Neel pressed his forehead against hers, and tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ears said in a whisper, "I missed you". Manjari replied, "I missed you too"!
After a while or it could be a long while( they both had lost track of time), they made their way back surreptitiously. Neel checked the corridor to see if anyone was around.
"All clear, amore", he said in a whisper.
Manjari half smiled, half scowled as she sent him on his way.
She re-enter her staff room to catch her breath as she was sure that there would be no one there.
But to her surprise, both Nandini and Sonia were there. They both looked up as she entered the room.

"You still here?", asked Sonia. 

"Yes", replied Manjari, racking her brain for an excuse. Afterall, she should have left an hour ago...

"What have you been up to,"?" asked Nandini. "And where did you get so much dirt in your hair...and on your clothes?

"Dirt? ",asked Manjari confused. 

Nandini just pointed to her saree. Manjari lood down and umuteterrda few curses under her abuses. Her cheeks flushed a bright red at the same time, knowing very well where the dirt had come from.