Chapter 11 || We Rescue Missy

ابدأ من البداية

"Hey! Why are you so fat?" I heard another alien say and I took a sharp intake of breath, not daring to breathe anymore.

"Uh... I stole a taco truck! From a man!" Facemaker blurted out.

"Oh... cool! Where can I find it?"

"Far away from me! That way!"

"OKAY!" It apparently raced off.

It was a lot of walking before Facemaker stopped.

"Is the coast clear?" I whispered from his belly.

"Clear."

"Get me out of here!" I exclaimed.

When I was out, I grabbed the locks and pulled.

"This is really tough!" I growled.

"You can do it, Guppy! Do it for Missy! Do it for her! Do it!" Facemaker silently chanted me on.

I thought about Missy and how she'd sing me songs at night and always be nice to everyone. And now she needed my help. And I know I'm 7 and all, but even 7-year-olds know when it's time to help someone. And Missy was no exception. I growled and pulled the locks off, breaking the first metal door. Then, I closed it behind me, though I knew it wouldn't lock. I broke the next set of locks. And then, the last set until we were seeing a broken, bloodied, barely breathing Missy.

And it's something I'll probably remember and get nightmares from for the rest of my life.

"Missy..." I whispered, reaching my little arms out.

Facemaker pulled a bobby pin out of my hair and picked the lock.

"And... in!"

"Carry her!"

"How are we--"

"Just go! I think they're gonna leave soon!" I hissed and got back into his costume.

He scooped Missy up in his arms and I couldn't feel her heartbeat next to me. I panicked. She felt cold and I could smell her blood from inside the suit. There was a lot of walking before I heard another alien.

"Where are you going with Missy Moreno?"

Oh shoot... Facemaker thought for a while before saying something random before he could look too suspicious.

"She is dead," he finally said.

"Dead?"

"She has no heartbeat and she is cold."

"Take her to the dead center."

"Right."

Facemaker kept walking."

"It's that way," the alien said.

"No, I thought I just saw something. That's why. Uh... look! Taco truck!"

And then, Facemaker ran. He ran for his life. And when he made it off the ship, he watched as the hatchet closed and the ship took off. He hid for a few minutes, just to make sure there were no more vacuum cleaners, and then, he took off the suit. I hopped out and he carried Missy to the dumpster. He laid her down gently.

"Guys!" I whispered to the trash can, "Guys! They're gone! We've got Missy!"

"Damn! She's lighter than a chicken!"

Wildcard was the first one to tumble out of the stinky trash.

"You smell... bad..." I didn't want to be offensive.

"Yeah. We noticed," A-Capella groaned.

Wildcard was now at Missy's side, glued there. He was frantically checking for signs of breathing. And his devastated look at the end told me we were too late.

"Missy... no, no, no, no, no..." he was sobbing, breaking down completely.

And for the first time, I saw him for who he truly was. A heart-broken boy who was torn apart by all the pressure around him. Staring at the dead body of the only person who understood him. He hugged her body with all his might, searching for any warmth.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..." he sniffled, crying into her hair.

And I felt tears falling down my face. This was the saddest thing I had ever witnessed. Missy was gone.

"No... you're not gone, Missy. You wouldn't leave me alone here in this world with no one but myself... You wouldn't allow it..." Wildcard stared at her body in grief, "I love you, Missy Moreno. I'm sorry I couldn't save you... Why? Why'd you leave me?"

He leaned in and put his forehead to hers. Then, he closed the gap separating their mouths. And he blew.