𝗪𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗗𝗢 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗠𝗘𝗔𝗡 𝗖𝗔𝗟𝗠 𝗗𝗢𝗪𝗡, 𝗜 𝗞𝗜𝗟𝗟𝗘𝗗 𝗔 𝗠𝗔𝗡!!!

The morning started off nice enough.

Y/n had an early start, making haste as she rushed to help prepare everything for the Rite of Descension which would take place in a matter of hours.

After all was prepared and the people of Liyue started to arrive, eagerly awaiting their God's annual visit, y/n left to go retrieve Aether and Paimon from the inn.

When she arrived... Aether was climbing a building while Paimon watched on with a mildly annoyed look. Though her look of annoyance shifted to delight when she spotted y/n.

"There you are! Paimon was wondering when you'd get here!" the little pixie exclaimed and y/n chuckled.

"Sorry, Paimon. I had work to do in preparation for the Rite, so I couldn't come directly here." y/n apologized, "But we've gotta hurry, it'll start soon!"

"Really? Aether, get down from there!" the pixie shouted up at the blond who gave her a glare, "The Rite is starting soon, hurry up!"

"But-!" he gave the treasure chest on the roof on last rueful look before hopping down and joining the duo, "I can get it later... right then, let's go."

Y/n guided them all the way to Yujing Terrace, stopping with a little satisfied hum when they made it, "Here it is. Looks like we got here just in time!"

"Woah... look at all the people!" Paimon breathed before tugging on Aether's hair, "Let's get up front, we can't see squat back here!"

Immediately, she zoomed to the front while Aether and y/n carefully made they way after her. When they finally made it to the front, y/n caught sight of Ningguang as a beam of light shot up into the sky.

Seems like it'd started. Y/n was actually quite curious.
Her time of arrival in Liyue was after the previous year's Rite of Descension, so she'd hadn't been given the opportunity to see it until now.

As the clouds began to sail, darkening and engulfing the entire terrace in shadows, she frowned. Was this... supposed to happen?

Her question was answered when a big 🍑 dragon fell from the sky, crushing the table that'd taken TWO HOURS TO PREPARE, and sending the food offerings flying everywhere.

Ningguang and the two other women closest just barely got out of the way to avoid being crushed, and there was a collective gasp amongst the group upon seeing the dragon fall from the sky.

The silence was tense, only filled by the worried whispers of the people present. As Ningguang knelt beside the big 🍑 dragon, Aether glanced at y/n.

"Hey, is this supposed to happen?" he murmured.

"N...No... no, I don't think so..." she whispered, hands trembling a little, "Right? I'm not sure..."

Aether frowned, but Paimon tapped him on the shoulder before he could speak, "Y/n has only been here for a few months, remember? She didn't get to see last year's Rite."

"I didn't, but I'm certain that this is not how it should go." y/n murmured, "There's no way Rex Lapis would just fall out of the sky like this."

It was a long moment before Ningguang stood up before turning to the crowd, "Rex Lapis has been killed! Seal the exits!"

"WHAT?!" y/n and Aether demanded.

In an instant, a bunch of  Millelith flooded into Yujing Terracs, blocking off all escape routes. Everyone in the crowd seemed panicked, though slight tremors beside Aether quickly caught his attention.

He glanced at y/n, and found that she was shaking violently. She looked fearful, eyes wide and distraught.

"Rex Lapis? The Geo Archon? Dead?!" Paimon demanded before looking over to where some of the Millelith were beginning to question people, "Looks like the Millelith are nabbing suspects who got too close."